Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Srivatsan <ra...@gmail.com> on 2013/08/06 11:44:01 UTC

Solr MaxCollections

Hi,

I am using solr4.3 for my search application with apache zookeeper 3.4.5 . I
came across limit of znode size of zookeeper. Default is 1 MB rite? I have
read one article that size of znode reaches 1MB with just 1000 collections.
Is it so? .

And is it preferable to increase the znode size to some 1000MB?.

And whether performance will be reduced due to increase in number of
collection???

Thanks

Srivatsan

Re: Solr MaxCollections

Posted by Srivatsan <ra...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Jack

Re: Solr MaxCollections

Posted by Jack Krupansky <ja...@basetechnology.com>.
Although there is no hard limit or published guidelines, I would say that
you should try to limit your number of collections per cluster to "dozens"
or no more than 100. More than that and you are in uncharted territory. If
it works for you, fine, but if it doesn't please don’t complain. But...
these are simply my own personal guidelines. And, of course, "mileage may
vary."

If you are trying to add "hundreds", "just 1000", or even more to a SINGLE
cluster, I would say that you are seriously misusing and seriously abusing
Solr.

No mere mortal can design and keep in their head such a complex data model
that involves hundreds of tables.

Oh... let me guess... are you trying to do "multi-tenant"? If so, you should
be talking "multi-cluster" where you externally manage your "tenants",
assigning them to clusters, but keeping tenants-per-cluster down in the
dozens/hundreds, and "archiving" inactive tenants and spinning up (and down)
clusters as inactive tenants become active or fall into inactivity. But
keeping 1,000 or more tenants active in a single cluster as separate
collections is... a no-go.

If you want to support multiple "users" in a single Solr cluster, do it with
user IDs, per-user filters, and an application layer that enforces
separation of users, but keeps them in a common collection (or multiple
collections if the data model requires multiple collections per user.)

-- Jack Krupansky