Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Jason Toy <ja...@gmail.com> on 2011/11/15 21:41:40 UTC

getting lots of errors doing bulk insertion

I've written a script that does bulk insertion from my database, it
grabs chunks of 500 docs (out of 100 million ) and inserts them into
solr over http.  I have 5 threads that are inserting from a queue.
After each insert I issue a commit.
Every 20 or so inserts I get this error message:
Error:     Error opening new searcher. exceeded limit of
maxWarmingSearchers=2, try again later.

I saw that people suggest to reduce the commit frequency to fix this.
Is this really the way to need to fix this? The reason I was
committing after every insert of 500 docs is so there would not be too
much uncommmited data.

--
- sent from my mobile

Re: getting lots of errors doing bulk insertion

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com>.
Jason,

What you read is valid advice.  Just don't commit that often, or even at all until the very end if you can wait. :)
And make sure you are indexing to a machine that doesn't warm up caches and searcher every time you commit.

Otis
----