Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Bernd Eckenfels <ec...@zusammenkunft.net> on 2014/02/04 21:25:10 UTC

Re: [VFS] Fix up pom so it works with Commons release profile

Am Tue, 21 Jan 2014 16:10:35 +0000
schrieb sebb <se...@gmail.com>:

> I have done some work on this.I can fix up the poms so that the
> Commons "release" profile works.
> And it looks like the distribution module is not really needed. The
> assembly plugin can be run from the top level pom.

(sorry for picking this mail for quote, I wanted to stay within a
thread but it is not a specific answer to sebb)

 The current state looks pretty messed up. I have been trying to
debug some strange bundle-plugin behaviour but I could not really with
that complicated commons parent.

This parent is not really suited for multi-module builds and even if it
was it still does quite a few things too much IMHO. Would it be
possible to have a "policy commons" parent and a derieved parent which
also adds "build convinience"?

Currently the VFS project POM is building (unwanted and empty) JAR
files.

Gruss
Bernd

Re: [VFS] Fix up pom so it works with Commons release profile

Posted by Bernd Eckenfels <ec...@zusammenkunft.net>.
Hello,

Am Wed, 5 Feb 2014 09:55:18 +0000 schrieb sebb <se...@gmail.com>:
> On 4 February 2014 20:25, Bernd Eckenfels <ec...@zusammenkunft.net>
> wrote:
> > Am Tue, 21 Jan 2014 16:10:35 +0000
> > schrieb sebb <se...@gmail.com>:
> >
> >> I have done some work on this.I can fix up the poms so that the
> >> Commons "release" profile works.
> >> And it looks like the distribution module is not really needed. The
> >> assembly plugin can be run from the top level pom.
> >
> > (sorry for picking this mail for quote, I wanted to stay within a
> > thread but it is not a specific answer to sebb)
> >
> >  The current state looks pretty messed up. I have been trying to
> > debug some strange bundle-plugin behaviour but I could not really
> > with that complicated commons parent.
> >
> > This parent is not really suited for multi-module builds and even
> > if it was it still does quite a few things too much IMHO.
>
> Which things are excessive?
> The intention was to use the pom for common items, and allow it to be
> configured (with properties)/overridden by the component poms if
> necessary.
> But needing to override should be rare.

Well, the main thing I noticed is, that the VFS-project (parent)
produces a target/osgi/MANIFEST.MF. There is a second antrun regarding
APIdoc. But other than that - looking at the build log again - it
seems not much more is actually executed.

> > Would it be
> > possible to have a "policy commons" parent and a derieved parent
> > which also adds "build convinience"?
> >
> > Currently the VFS project POM is building (unwanted and empty) JAR
> > files.
>
> What command are you using, and what are these jar files?

I was running mvn install, but I can no longer reproduce the problem.
With trunk rev. 1565946 and linux I dont see those JARs any more.
Have to check later if it is a windows related problem.

Bernd

Re: [VFS] Fix up pom so it works with Commons release profile

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bernd Eckenfels <ec...@zusammenkunft.net>.
Am Tue, 4 Feb 2014 22:55:57 +0000 schrieb sebb <se...@gmail.com>:
> Is the multi-module VFS pom really needed?

I think the project could be restructured to produce the examples and
make the distribution in a single module. However I personally like the
separation, especially as there are so many dependencies involved and
reducing the build time for that project should be a goal.

Gruss
Bernd

Re: [VFS] Fix up pom so it works with Commons release profile

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
Is the multi-module VFS pom really needed?

Commons Parent seems to work fine with single module poms.

Posted by Bernd Eckenfels <ec...@zusammenkunft.net>.

Posted by Jörg Schaible <jo...@gmx.de>.
Bernd Eckenfels wrote:

> Am Tue, 04 Feb 2014 21:53:24 +0100
> schrieb Jörg Schaible <jo...@gmx.de>:
>
>> We could move the compiler and jar plugin into an own profile of the
>> parent, that is automatically activated if src/main/java exists.
>> That, however, enforces Maven 3 and standard layout for all Java
>> projects.
>
> Yes, I thought about this as well. I think this enforcing is not the
> worst thing to do - but I guess you can also activate the profile in
> your sub-pom if you insist on the wrong structure.
>
> Or maybe the profile can be activated based on
> build.sourceDirectory somehow? I guess all non-standard sub-poms have
> to redefine that anyway.

No. Profile activations are evaluated before any property.

> This is a good thing to have. What about OSGi bundle
> plugin? I am not sure if we need the pluginManagement
> preconfiguration at all.

Does it harm?

Cheers,
Jörg

Re: [VFS] Fix up pom so it works with Commons release profile

Posted by Bernd Eckenfels <ec...@zusammenkunft.net>.

Posted by Jörg Schaible <jo...@gmx.de>.
Hi Bernd,

Bernd Eckenfels wrote:

> Am Tue, 21 Jan 2014 16:10:35 +0000
> schrieb sebb <se...@gmail.com>:
>
>> I have done some work on this.I can fix up the poms so that the
>> Commons "release" profile works.
>> And it looks like the distribution module is not really needed. The
>> assembly plugin can be run from the top level pom.
>
> (sorry for picking this mail for quote, I wanted to stay within a
> thread but it is not a specific answer to sebb)
>
>  The current state looks pretty messed up. I have been trying to
> debug some strange bundle-plugin behaviour but I could not really with
> that complicated commons parent.
>
> This parent is not really suited for multi-module builds and even if it
> was it still does quite a few things too much IMHO. Would it be
> possible to have a "policy commons" parent and a derieved parent which
> also adds "build convinience"?
>
> Currently the VFS project POM is building (unwanted and empty) JAR
> files.

We could move the compiler and jar plugin into an own profile of the parent,
that is automatically activated if src/main/java exists. That, however,
enforces Maven 3 and standard layout for all Java projects.

Regards,
Jörg