Posted to log4net-user@logging.apache.org by Shekar <sh...@gmail.com> on 2009/11/28 05:46:44 UTC

webapplication logging - one log file per user

 Hi,

Please help me with this query in using log4net.

I am using log4net in mhy we application. I am facing issues in configuring
log4net to log errors at user level.

That is, If user X logs in, I like to create file name X and all error for
user X should be written in X.log. Siilarly if Y user logs in the log file
should be in name of Y.log and the most important point to note is, they
could log in concurrently.

I tried the luck by creating log files whose name would be framed
dynamically as soon as the user logs in. But issue here, if they are not
using the application at the same time, the log files are creeated with
correct name and writing as expected, but if both users have active
sessions, log file is created only for user who FIRST logged in and error of
second user has been recorded in log file that is created for FIRST user.

Please help me in this.

Thanks much.

Re: webapplication logging - one log file per user

Posted by Srinivas Repala <sr...@atparinc.com>.
if I hv understood it correct, By using log thread context, we should capture each user in the application.

 A new appender can be added for each user to capture the log.

Posted by Shekar <sh...@gmail.com>.
No Karim,

Posted by Karim Bourouba <ka...@hotmail.com>.
Hi Raj,

Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2009 10:16:44 +0530
Subject: webapplication logging - one log file per user
From: shivarajece@gmail.com
To: log4net-user@logging.apache.org

[...]

Got more than one Hotmail account? Save time by linking them together
 http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/186394591/direct/01/

Re: webapplication logging - one log file per user

Posted by Shekar <sh...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Karim.

Posted by Karim Bourouba <ka...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Shekar <sh...@gmail.com>.
No. It has passed my initial test ie., POC. Let me test it thoroughly after
integration and update you.

Regards,
Raj.

Posted by Matt Lund <ml...@control4.com>.

Posted by "Walden H. Leverich" <Wa...@TechSoftInc.com>.
Sounds to me like a race-condition in the making. Follow the timeline:

User1 Logs in

Set GlobalContext = User1

Configure

Log

All is good. But what about:

User1 Logs in

Set GlobalContext = User1

User2 Logs in

Set GlobalContext = User2

Configure (from first login)

Log something

Configure (from second login)

Log something else

I'll bet both log entries end up in the second file.

-Walden

--
Walden H Leverich III
Tech Software &