Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Tim Space <qw...@hotmail.com> on 2011/01/07 10:40:39 UTC

Tomcat 6 logging clog

Hi,

I'm getting huge logs (50MB after startup) in catalina.out despite having turned all logging up to SEVERE in my logging.property files.
I'm hoping someone can point me to the right thread, as I'm sure others wouldn't have put up with 50MB logs out of the box as long as I have.  After going over the docs several times, I see that the standard LogManager "JULI uses either a programmatic approach, or properties files", so I'm guessing that it's using a programmatic approach, but there is no mention of how to make my logging use the property files.  I'm tried modifying both files to no effect:
/apache-tomcat-6.0.20/conf/logging.properties
/jdk1.6.0_18/jre/lib/logging.properties

The docs say:
Here is how you would set debugging from Tomcat. You would need to ensure the ConsoleHandler's level is also set to collect this threshold,
so FINEST or ALL should be set. Please refer to Sun's java.util.logging documentation for the complete details.
org.apache.catalina.level=FINEST

However, the string "org.apache.catalina.level" is not found in the logging.properties file in apache's conf directory.
In-fact, the only place that string is found is in /apache-tomcat-6.0.20/webapps/docs/logging.html, as well as startup scripts but there is no dicsussion on the java loggin overview of how to set he level.

I'm running Fedora 14 by the way.  I been through a lot of archives searching from various angles, found similar problems, but none with sufficient answers for my problem.  I haven't changed anything else in the properties file, so they are as shipped with Tomcat 6.0.20.  I haven't tried to implement log4j, as java.util.logging with JULI would be fine if I didn't have to hear digesters every bowel movement like this:

1162113  Jan 5, 2011 4:28:59 PM org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.Digester endElement
1162114  FINE:   bodyText=''

Thanks

T.Curchod.

Re: Tomcat 6 logging clog

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.
2011/1/7 Caldarale, Charles R <Ch...@unisys.com>:
> From: Tim Space [mailto:qwertypoi75@hotmail.com]
> Subject: Tomcat 6 logging clog
>
>> I'm tried modifying both files to no effect:
>> /apache-tomcat-6.0.20/conf/logging.properties
>
> Step 1: move to the current Tomcat version, not one that's nearly two years old.
>
>> /jdk1.6.0_18/jre/lib/logging.properties
>
> Not used by Tomcat.  (You should also update your JVM.)

It is used by Tomcat.
(Note the rules in catalina.policy that allow reading that file).

Properties not defined $CATALINA_BASE/conf/logging.properties are
taken from there.

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko

RE: Tomcat 6 logging clog

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
From: Tim Space [mailto:qwertypoi75@hotmail.com]
Subject: Tomcat 6 logging clog

> I'm tried modifying both files to no effect:
> /apache-tomcat-6.0.20/conf/logging.properties

Step 1: move to the current Tomcat version, not one that's nearly two years old.

> /jdk1.6.0_18/jre/lib/logging.properties

Not used by Tomcat.  (You should also update your JVM.)

> org.apache.catalina.level=FINEST

> However, the string "org.apache.catalina.level" is not found
> in the logging.properties file in apache's conf directory.

Nor need it be.  The above would set FINEST for the org.apache.catalina package, which would be inherited by packages underneath that - for ones that don't override it with their own .level setting.

> 1162113  Jan 5, 2011 4:28:59 PM org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.Digester endElement
> 1162114  FINE:   bodyText=''

Clearly indicative that you have logging set to FINE.

My suspicion is that you're not running the Tomcat you think you are.  Try downloading a fresh copy from tomcat.apache.org, and running that with no config changes.  Make sure you don't have any 3rd-party repackaged versions of Tomcat lying around, since the repackagers have a nasty habit of scattering files all over the place, making it very difficult to determine which config files are actually being used.

 - Chuck

Re: Tomcat 6 logging clog

Posted by Pid <pi...@pidster.com>.
On 1/7/11 9:40 AM, Tim Space wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm getting huge logs (50MB after startup) in catalina.out despite having turned all logging up to SEVERE in my logging.property files.
> I'm hoping someone can point me to the right thread, as I'm sure others wouldn't have put up with 50MB logs out of the box as long as I have.  After going over the docs several times, I see that the standard LogManager "JULI uses either a programmatic approach, or properties files", so I'm guessing that it's using a programmatic approach, but there is no mention of how to make my logging use the property files.  I'm tried modifying both files to no effect:

A fresh Tomcat 6.0.29 'out of the box' after startup produces small logs:

     0  7 Jan 14:21 manager.2011-01-07.log
     0  7 Jan 14:21 host-manager.2011-01-07.log
  1813  7 Jan 14:21 catalina.out
   226  7 Jan 14:21 localhost.2011-01-07.log
  1813  7 Jan 14:21 catalina.2011-01-07.log

not 50Mb.

Tomcat itself doesn't produce more log data unless the cluster is
configured or you are reloading applications.

Can you explain more about what's appearing in the logs?