Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Jan Tosovsky <j....@email.cz> on 2013/12/09 22:41:14 UTC

FOP - features I miss

Dear All,

I like the idea of FOP, i.e. open-source implementation of XSL-FO processor,
but I have to admit it is still not mature enough for my projects.

A) For automated production of product documentation I miss mainly:
1. support for change bars (used in the review cycle phase) -
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOP-1760
2. enhanced index generating (at least merging same pages into a single
item)

B) For my hobby projects I require high quality typography so I miss:
1. support for microtypography (protrusion, expansion)
2. support for ligatures for non-english environments
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOP-2093
3. ability to typeset on grid

While (A) is now handled by commercial XSL-FO product, for (B) I switched to
TeX based solution (ConTeXt). None of these is ideal and I still believe one
day FOP will replace them in my workflow. But I am rather sad from recent
(in)activity.

Is there any rough roadmap for next development?

Btw, in the light of new approaches I am curious what is the future of
XSL-FO technology in general:
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook-apps/201312/msg00019.html

I hope FOP is not a next candidate for the abandonware list...

Regards, Jan