Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Chris Dams <ch...@gmail.com> on 2008/12/05 15:24:28 UTC

Problem with page content overflowing the footer.

Dear all,

I have a fo-file that I process with fop but in the resulting pdf-file
the page content sometimes overflows the margins that I gave to the
<fo:region-body>. This only happens within a few large <fo:list-block>
elements that contain a lot of <fo:list-item> elements, for example
looking like the one below.

<fo:list-item space-before.minimum="0.7em" space-before.optimum="1em"
space-before.maximum="1.5em" space-before.conditionality="discard">
   <fo:list-item-label end-indent="label-end()">
      <fo:block font-weight="bold">25: </fo:block>
   </fo:list-item-label>
   <fo:list-item-body start-indent="body-start()">
      <fo:block font-weight="bold"
keep-with-next.within-page="always">Open browser op maat</fo:block>
      <fo:block font-family="sans-serif" font-size="11pt"
space-before.minimum="0.7em" space-before.optimum="1em"
space-before.maximum="1.5em" space-before.conditionality="discard">Met
deze optie selecteert u de maat waarin het browser tabblad geopend
moet worden.</fo:block>
   </fo:list-item-body>
</fo:list-item>

I disallow a break between the first and second block of the
<fo:list-item-body> and this may cause the overflow, but in that case
I would like fop to break the page before this list-item. Is there a
way to tell fop that it should break the page between the
<fo:list-item> elements if not doing so would result in overflowing
the <fo:region-body>.

Is this a bug in fop?

All the best,
Chris

Re: Problem with page content overflowing the footer.

Posted by Vincent Hennebert <vh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Chris,

Chris Dams wrote:
> Hello Vincent,
>
> 2008/12/5 Vincent Hennebert:
>> Can you please provide a sample FO file showing the problem, so that we can confirm?
>
> Okay, I have now simplified the file a bit. I attached it to this
> email together with the pdf produced. In order not to overflow the
> footer, the page should be broken before point 25 but it broken after
> it.

I can confirm that this is the same bug. Actually there’s no need to
have a block with elastic spaces before the list, just having elastic
spaces on elements inside the list is enough to trigger the bug.

Can you please create a bug report and attach your sample file?
https://issues.apache.org/bugzilla/enter_bug.cgi?product=Fop
So that we can keep track of this.

Meanwhile, as a workaround, you can use tables instead of lists and
achieve a similar effect (a narrow column for the bullet, a wide one for
the content). Spaces inside the table won’t shrink or stretch (they will
be kept to the optimal value), but at least you won’t have overflowing
of the bottom margin.

Thanks,
Vincent

Re: Problem with page content overflowing the footer.

Posted by Chris Dams <ch...@gmail.com>.
Hello Vincent,

Posted by Vincent Hennebert <vh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Chris,

Do you have blocks with elastic spaces on the same page before the list
starts? Then it’s a bug in FOP, that wrongly propagates to the list
content the adjustments that were made on those spaces. Can you please