Posted to users@solr.apache.org by William Crowell <WC...@perforce.com.INVALID> on 2024/03/01 15:52:38 UTC

Can a back up just a specific shard be made and rebuild just that shard and how?

Good morning,

I am using Apache Solr 7.7.2, and I need to rebuild just one specific shard.

Can I take a backup of just one specific shard and rebuild just that shard?

How would I do that?  Is there any documentation for that?

Regards and thanks in advance,

William Crowell

This e-mail may contain information that is privileged or confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete the e-mail and any attachments and notify us immediately.

Re: Can a back up just a specific shard be made and rebuild just that shard and how?

Posted by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org.INVALID>.
On 3/1/2024 08:52, William Crowell wrote:
> I am using Apache Solr 7.7.2, and I need to rebuild just one specific shard.
>
> Can I take a backup of just one specific shard and rebuild just that shard?
>
> How would I do that?  Is there any documentation for that?

If you have a copy of one of the data directories from that shard, it is
possible to restore that into the whole SolrCloud collection.  The
procedure is a little arcane and unusual, and I can explain it if needed.

If you don't have that, then you're going to have to build the whole
index again, using whatever method you used to build the index the first
time.

Here is a wiki page I wrote about this some time ago:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/SOLR/HowToReindex

The basic info from that wiki page has been added to the ref guide:

https://solr.apache.org/guide/solr/latest/indexing-guide/reindexing.html

Thanks,
Shawn