Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Thai Dang Vu <TV...@dhmh.state.md.us> on 2005/08/15 17:58:03 UTC

How to specify more than 1 datePattern in date validation?

Hi everybody,

If I want to validate a date field, I will put something like this in the validation.xml file

<field property="myDate" depends="date">
    <arg0 key="Date field" resource="false"/>
    <var>
        <var-name>datePattern</var-name>
        <var-value>MM/dd/yyyy</var-value>
    </var>
</field>

So, if I want to enable 2 ways of entering a date (MM/dd/yyy and MM-dd-yyyy), how should I write in the validation.xml file?

Thanks for any help.

Re: How to specify more than 1 datePattern in date validation?

Posted by Laurie Harper <la...@holoweb.net>.
Thai Dang Vu wrote:
> If I want to validate a date field, I will put something like this in the validation.xml file
>
> <field property="myDate" depends="date">
>     <arg0 key="Date field" resource="false"/>
>     <var>
>         <var-name>datePattern</var-name>
>         <var-value>MM/dd/yyyy</var-value>
>     </var>
> </field>
>
> So, if I want to enable 2 ways of entering a date (MM/dd/yyy and MM-dd-yyyy), how should I write in the validation.xml file?

The only two possibilities I can think of are to use the match validation
with a suitable regular expression, which will allow you to make sure the
date string is in the right format but can't easily check that it's really
a legal date, or write your own custom validation rule. The date validation
doesn't provide for specifying multiple patterns.

Actually, one other possibility: if you don't specify a pattern, Validator
will use SimpleDateFormat's default short date format rules, which might be
more flexible than you can express with a pattern; check the documentation
for SimpleDateFormat to see if that would meet your needs.

L.
--
Laurie Harper
Open Source advocate, Java geek: http://www.holoweb.net/laurie