Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com> on 2015/03/23 22:23:39 UTC

[RELEASE] Release Manager position

We are still in the planning phase for our next release, tentatively
4.1.2.  One of the first and most important items we need to have is a
Release Manager. Our former release manager, Juergen, retired from this
role a few months ago.
(See original post on how Juergen was chosen/volunteered --
http://markmail.org/message/nyyhcpddiy7roaev)

Jan stressed the importance of having a Release Manager before further
planning in his post of 2015/03/17:

http://markmail.org/message/f3pqljxewm35mer7

In our case, the Release Manager has performed the duties described in
the following documents --

http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html
http://www.apache.org/dev/release-publishing.html

as well as making definitive decisions concerning issues marked as
"release blockers".

If you are a committer who would be interested in this position, please
let us know so we can further discuss this.

The Release Manager is a critical position in driving releases forward.

[RELEASE] Release Manager position

Posted by jan i <ja...@apache.org>.
On Saturday, March 28, 2015, Ariel Constenla-Haile <arielch@apache.org
<javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','arielch@apache.org');>> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 23, 2015 at 02:23:39PM -0700, Kay Schenk wrote:
> > We are still in the planning phase for our next release, tentatively
> > 4.1.2.  One of the first and most important items we need to have is a
> > Release Manager. Our former release manager, Juergen, retired from this
> > role a few months ago.
> > (See original post on how Juergen was chosen/volunteered --
> > http://markmail.org/message/nyyhcpddiy7roaev)
> >
> > Jan stressed the importance of having a Release Manager before further
> > planning in his post of 2015/03/17:
> >
> > http://markmail.org/message/f3pqljxewm35mer7
> >
> > In our case, the Release Manager has performed the duties described in
> > the following documents --
> >
> > http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html
> > http://www.apache.org/dev/release-publishing.html
> >
> > as well as making definitive decisions concerning issues marked as
> > "release blockers".
> >
> > If you are a committer who would be interested in this position, please
> > let us know so we can further discuss this.
> >
> > The Release Manager is a critical position in driving releases forward.
>
> Having a Release Manager might not solve the bigger problem: all changes
> that are going to be included in the release have the potentiality to
> introduce regressions, so the inclusion must be backed up by
> knowledgeable developers, and is not the sole decision of the Release
> Manager nor the result of decision making strategies usually done in the
> mailing list following the Apache Way.

You are right, but. not having a release manager is a major problem. Sone
of us might help decide what goes into the release, starting with nothing
but digital signing and onward, depending on the capacity available.

rgds
jan i

Re: [RELEASE] Release Manager position

Posted by jan i <ja...@apache.org>.