Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Johannes Holzer <hl...@arcor.de> on 2006/02/09 12:13:49 UTC

Problem with changing filenames

I have a problem with changing filenames.

I have a Software that saves files with increasing numbers. The file is named
"file_42", next save will rename the file to "file_43". How can i use
subversion with this?

Just ignore this (let svn delete file_42 and add file_43) seems not to be
good.

I've thought aboud client side scripting (to rename the file before commit and
after update, or sth. like that), but this is not possible, right?

Does anybody see a good solution for this problem?

johannes

Re: Problem with changing filenames

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Feb 9, 2006, at 13:13, Johannes Holzer wrote:

> I have a Software that saves files with increasing numbers. The
> file is named
> "file_42", next save will rename the file to "file_43". How can i use
> subversion with this?
>
> Just ignore this (let svn delete file_42 and add file_43) seems not
> to be
> good.
>
> I've thought aboud client side scripting (to rename the file before
> commit and
> after update, or sth. like that), but this is not possible, right?
>
> Does anybody see a good solution for this problem?

Use software that doesn't muck with the file name like that.

If you must use this software, you can certainly automate the
procedure of normalizing the filename before committing it.
Subversion does not have client-side hooks, so you would need to make
it a wrapper instead: you'd call your wrapper script, which would in
turn call svn commit.

Re: Problem with changing filenames

Posted by Kevin Greiner <gr...@gmail.com>.
On 2/9/06, Johannes Holzer <hl...@arcor.de> wrote:

> I've thought aboud client side scripting (to rename the file before commit and
> after update, or sth. like that), but this is not possible, right?

Sure it's possible although there isn't a client-side hook to do it.
Write a wrapper for svn that tests for the presence of this file,
renames it, commits, and names it back. If that's really what you want
to do. It seems like an odd way to use a version control.