Posted to dev@xalan.apache.org by "Edward L. Knoll" <ed...@cosd.fedex.com> on 2004/11/04 18:37:50 UTC

XSL template priority problem in SAX processing stream.

We have a XSL stylesheet which has prioritized templates.  It was
working as expected when we were using org.apache.xalan.xslt.Process to
process it.   We've since changed our processing to be handled by a
chain of SAX content handlers with the core XSL processing being handled
by a TransformerHandler created from a Templates handler created from a
SAXTransformerFactory.

Now it appears that template priority is not being recognized at all.

We're using Xalan-Java 2.6 on Solaris platform.  We are overriding the
default version of Xalan used by the Solaris java command by overriding
the bootclasspath.

Is this a (known) Xalan-Java bug, is there something we have to
change/do to enable template prioritization, do we have to change how
prioritization values are expressed with the SAX components?

Thanks,
Ed Knoll

--
Edward L. Knoll   Phone (FedEx)     : (719)484-2717
                  e-mail (FedEx)    : edward.knoll@fedex.com

Re: XSL template priority problem in SAX processing stream.

Posted by "Edward L. Knoll" <ed...@cosd.fedex.com>.
Please disregard this.  A misedited file appeared to resolve the
problem; taking the mode attribute off did not fix the problem.

Posted by "Edward L. Knoll" <ed...@cosd.fedex.com>.

Posted by da...@us.ibm.com.
Edward Knoll writes:
>The templates at issues are actually distributed across multiple files.
>A master XSL file references these templates using <xsl:import>. If I
>change the <xsl:import> to an <xsl:include>, the prioritization works.
>...should I expect this behavior?

Yes, import precedence outweighs template priority. We have a conformance
test for this (conflictres09), so we would enforce the required behavior.
.................David Marston

Re: XSL template priority problem in SAX processing stream.

Posted by Joseph Kesselman <ke...@us.ibm.com>.

Yes, you should expect that behavior.

Include treats the other file as part of the same stylesheet source
document. Import brings it in at reduced priority -- "lower Importance", if
you need a mnemonic. See the XSLT spec for details.

Re: XSL template priority problem in SAX processing stream.

Posted by "Edward L. Knoll" <ed...@cosd.fedex.com>.
The templates at issues are actually distributed across multiple files.
  A master XSL file references these templates using <xsl:import>.   If
I change the <xsl:import> to an <xsl:include>, the prioritization works.

I've never been entirely sure of the difference between xsl:import and
xsl:include, should I expect this behavior?

Posted by Morris Kwan <mk...@ca.ibm.com>.

I believe template priority should work in all modes of transformation,
without any code change from the user side. Please open a bug in the JIRA
database (http://nagoya.apache.org/jira/secure/Dashboard.jspa) and attach
the input xml, stylesheet and the Java code to reproduce the problem.

Morris Kwan
XSLT Development
IBM Toronto Lab
Tel: (905)413-3729
Email: mkwan@ca.ibm.com

             "Edward L. Knoll"
             <ed.knoll@cosd.fe
             dex.com>                                                   To
                                       xalan-dev@xml.apache.org
             11/04/2004 12:37                                           cc
             PM
                                                                   Subject
                                       XSL template priority problem in
             Please respond to         SAX processing stream.
                 xalan-dev