Posted to dev@arrow.apache.org by Sun Yijiang <su...@gmail.com> on 2020/08/31 10:46:36 UTC

Arbitrary user-defined metadata in feather

Is there a way to read/write user-defined metadata in IPC format?  As far
as I know, metadata seems to exist for data schema only.  It would be very
helpful to expose key-value metadata interface in C++/Python and R APIs.

Best,
Steve

Re: Arbitrary user-defined metadata in feather

Posted by Neal Richardson <ne...@gmail.com>.
Hi Steve,
Key-value metadata is exposed in both Python and R. See
https://arrow.apache.org/docs/python/generated/pyarrow.Schema.html?highlight=metadata#pyarrow.Schema.metadata
and https://arrow.apache.org/docs/r/articles/arrow.html#r-object-attributes,
respectively.

Neal