Posted to log4j-dev@logging.apache.org by "Karczmarczyk, Krzysztof" <Kr...@sabre.com> on 2006/07/24 10:51:54 UTC

Daily/Rolling appenders compatibility issue

Hi,

Recent alpha release tried to remove daily/rolling file appenders
incompatibilities for old config files. There is at least one remaining
problem in this area: org.apache.log4j.DailyRollingFileAppender and
org.apache.log4j.RollingFileAppender both implement Appender instead of
extending from AppenderSkeleton. This removes threshold property from
above appenders and breaks our work :).

Could you please include this fix in your release plans for alpha 9?

Regards,
Kris

Embedding chainsaw

Posted by "Karczmarczyk, Krzysztof" <Kr...@sabre.com>.
Hi,

Our project needs to embed Chainsaw viewer and get limited control over
it. We did appropriate customizations using alpha-6 release but need to
upgrade log4j and Chainsaw to the latest alpha-8 to get latest
improvements and solve common compatibility problems.

We need to create LogUI instance, activate it with our own
implementation of ChainsawAppender and gain some basic control on
columns order/visibility. It would be nice if we could change the
default detailed message formatting also.

In current version of chainsaw we are hitting some problems and to embed
it we need to do ugly hacks. To solve it and make Chainsaw more
embeddable I'm proposing small changes to the code that would make our
life easier:

Must have:
- provide LogUI constructor with ApplicationPreferenceModel argument
- provide accessor for preferenceModel in LogPanel
Nice have:
- add ability to activate (make visible) specified LogPanel instance
- make ChainsawTabbedPane class public - right now LogUI has public
method returning ChainsawTabbedPane instance
- make constants (column names, common properties) available

Let me know what you guys think about it and if this is doable for the
next alpha release. I'm ready to contribute if you are busy with other
things.

Regards,
Kris

Re: Daily/Rolling appenders compatibility issue

Posted by Curt Arnold <ca...@apache.org>.
On Jul 24, 2006, at 3:51 AM, Karczmarczyk, Krzysztof wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Recent alpha release tried to remove daily/rolling file appenders
> incompatibilities for old config files. There is at least one
> remaining
> problem in this area: org.apache.log4j.DailyRollingFileAppender and
> org.apache.log4j.RollingFileAppender both implement Appender
> instead of
> extending from AppenderSkeleton. This removes threshold property from
> above appenders and breaks our work :).
>
> Could you please include this fix in your release plans for alpha 9?
>
> Regards,
> Kris

Should be already fixed in the SVN.  Please let us know if there are
additional issues either with the SVN or with the release candidate
when available.