Posted to dev@geode.apache.org by Mark Hanson <mh...@pivotal.io> on 2020/06/26 17:06:38 UTC

[Proposal] Add REST command for Restore Redundancy to 1.13 (GEODE-8095)

Hello All,

The core of the restore redundancy call structure has been refactored to allow there to be a REST call to invoke a restore redundancy. At this point, looking forward to the 1.13 release it would be great if we could fit this into the 1.13 release.

What do people think?

Thanks,
Mark

Re: [Proposal] Add REST command for Restore Redundancy to 1.13 (GEODE-8095)

Posted by Anilkumar Gingade <ag...@vmware.com>.
+1 As Donal said, complete the feature with all the available APIs.

On 6/26/20, 11:50 AM, "Donal Evans" <do...@vmware.com> wrote:

    +1

    Although normally features wouldn't really count as "critical fixes" that would warrant inclusion after the release branch has been cut, in this case, the internal API and gfsh commands for restore redundancy are already in the release, and it makes much more sense to include the entire feature in one release rather than having a semi-complete feature in 1.13 and forcing the REST component to wait for a later release.
    ________________________________
Posted by Dave Barnes <db...@apache.org>.
OK - you've got the votes, Mark, thanks for your contribution.
I'm persuaded by the positive arguments and assurances of low risk.

All: let's focus on getting to RC1. I'm not comfortable with "as this
release has drug on for so long, it might be just about time to reset
expectations". Let's clean up 1.13 and get it out the door.
Thanks,
Dave

Posted by Mark Hanson <ha...@vmware.com>.
I can appreciate your perspective. I think there are three key things when looking at whether or not to add this to the 1.13 release or not.
1) this is a desirable feature that we were hoping to use internally at VMware and with our current release cadence, it is unclear when the next release is that would pick this up.
2) It was not initially expected to go in, but as this release has drug on for so long, it might be just about time to reset expectations for 1.13.
3) Given that that there is unit and DUnit testing in this code I think it is sufficiently tested to not be of significant concern in that regard. The core refactoring is already in 1.13 and this additional feature work is just enabling Restore Redundancy through REST. This work to enable that as mentioned has unit and DUnit tests.

Thanks,
Mark

Posted by Donal Evans <do...@vmware.com>.
+1