Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com> on 2017/11/10 19:01:50 UTC

hypervisor choice

I have been using CentOS for a long time but they seem to have screwed
up the recent updates to CentOS 7 to the point where after updating to
the latest version (originally build 514 and now 683), the system no
longer boots. I have to boot to build 327 which runs fine.

The idea of having a server that fails after updating is not in my
comfort zone.

I like the UI of CentOS  but it has a lot of extras that I am sure are
not required for the VM host.

What is the best choice for a OS to run on the hardware that will
support Cloudstack and CentOS as a VM?

Thoughts?

Ron

--
Ron Wheeler
President

Re: hypervisor choice

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
Thanks for your input.
I really like CentOS as well. Partly because I have been using it for so
long. If I recall, I went from SCO Unix to Mandrake to CentOS (4?).
I am baffled about what changed between the 327 release and the 514
release. The latest 693 release still gives me the same problem.
It is frustrating to have a machine that boots and runs just fine with
327 release of CentOS7 but panics if it tries to boot with the latest.

I have this on several machines of differing age. They are all AMD
processors but the motherboards are different of course.
The installation CD (ISO) of the 514 versions will not even startup so
it has to be something pretty fundamental.

RedHat has opened up their developer program so I might start to use
RedHat to see if the problem can be identified in that community.

Thanks again for responding with your advice.

Ron

Re: hypervisor choice

Posted by Dag Sonstebo <Da...@shapeblue.com>.
Hi Ron,