Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Harald Henkel <h....@gs-automation.de> on 2004/06/28 11:08:39 UTC

Still problems /w TC 4.1.29 on RedHat

Hello everybody.

I have a big problem with Tomcat on a Redhat Advanced Server 2.1 with
kernel 2.4.9-e.27smp
and Sun Java SDK 1.4.2-02-b06.

The Java processes are increasing all the time, but not continuously but
in big chunks.
Tomcat was started the last time last thursday with two base processes
and about 11 "working" processes.

Later, the same day, there were 16, 4 and 12 processes created (every
group with the same timestamp and increasing pids),
summing up to 45. The next day, 2 were created and 2 gone away.

Then sometime on sunday evening, 19 were ctreated and today another 19
while a total of 6 went away.

I tried to correlate the creation timestamp of the processes with some
actions in the application, but without success.

The application is uses an Oracle database via JSP and some compiled
Java Classes. It is a 3-frame WEB application with one frame used for
data input and controlling what is displayed in the other two. One of
the others is updated regularly every 10 to 20 seconds, by a JavaScript
timer.

At the time of the last process creations there hasn't been any activity
(like logging on a new user/terminal or inserting other data).
Only the regular updates on two terminals.

I set the environment variable LV_ASSUME_KERNEL to 2.4.1, before
starting Tomcat.
Yet, anyway, I found a document on the Sun website, claiming, that JDK
1.4.2 (in contrast to 1.4.1) should work not only without problem with
the NPTL on Linux but perform a lot better than 1.4.1 with the old
threads library.

Before setting this env var, when the Java processes reached the number
of 100 Tomcat stopped responding with an error message stating all
threads are busy (status75). Since the change, the proccesses reached
"only" about 75 now, but will probably soon hit the 100 again.

Please let me know, if I can/should provide additional info like
server.xml and other configuration data.

Anybody got any idea of what's happening/ what's causing this behaviour
?
Any help highly appreciated,
Harald Henkel

--
Harald Henkel

GS automation GmbH
Winterstraße 2
82223 Eichenau
Germany
Tel:    + 49-8141-35 731-37
Fax:    + 49-8141-35 731-38
Mobile: + 49-178-7829126
e-mail: H.Henkel@GS-automation.DE
Web:    www.GS-automation.DE

Re[2]: Still problems /w TC 4.1.29 on RedHat

Posted by "Sergey Velikanov [UzPAK]" <vg...@uzpak.uz>.
:)) Yes, I've received it too, but I beginner at this maillist and I
thought that my question really was very stupid :))

Re: Still problems /w TC 4.1.29 on RedHat