Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Boyang Chen <re...@gmail.com> on 2020/08/13 22:31:26 UTC

[VOTE] KIP-657: Add Customized Kafka Streams Logo

Hello everyone,

I would like to start a vote thread for KIP-657:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/KIP-657%3A+Add+Customized+Kafka+Streams+Logo

This KIP is aiming to add a new logo for the Kafka Streams library. And we
prepared two candidates with a cute otter. You could look up the KIP to
find those logos.

Please post your vote against these two customized logos. For example, I
would vote for *design-A (binding)*.

This vote thread shall be open for one week to collect enough votes to call
for a winner. Still, feel free to post any question you may have regarding
this KIP, thanks!

Re: [VOTE] KIP-657: Add Customized Kafka Streams Logo

Posted by Ben Stopford <be...@confluent.io>.
Just adding my 2c.

Whether "cute" is a good route to take for logos is pretty subjective, but
I do think the approach can work. However, a logo being simple seems. This
was echoed earlier in Robins 'can it be shrunk' comment. Visually there's a
lot going on in both of those images. I think simplifying, and being more
heavily based on the Kafka logo would help. It's a cool logo. Michael's is
that. Otherwise, maybe something like this.

[image: image.png]
[image: image.png]

--

Ben Stopford

Lead Technologist, Office of the CTO

<https://www.confluent.io>

Re: [VOTE] KIP-657: Add Customized Kafka Streams Logo

Posted by Ben Stopford <be...@confluent.io>.
Just adding my 2c.

Posted by Antony Stubbs <an...@confluent.io>.
(just my honest opinion)

Posted by Antony Stubbs <an...@confluent.io>.
(just my honest opinion)

Posted by Michael Noll <mi...@confluent.io>.
For what it's worth, here is an example sketch that I came up with. Point
is to show an alternative direction for the KStreams logo.

https://ibb.co/bmZxDCg

Thinking process:

   - It shows much more clearly (I hope) that KStreams is an official part
   of Kafka.
   - The Kafka logo is still front and center, and KStreams orbits around
   it like electrons around the Kafka core/nucleus. That’s important because
   we want users to adopt all of Kafka, not just bits and pieces.
   - It uses and builds upon the same ‘simple is beautiful’ style of the
   original Kafka logo. That also has the nice side-effect that it alludes to

Posted by Michael Noll <mi...@confluent.io>.

Posted by Boyang Chen <re...@gmail.com>.
Hey Ben,

Posted by Boyang Chen <re...@gmail.com>.
Hey Ben,

Posted by Philip Schmitt <ph...@outlook.com>.
Hi,

I’m with Robin and Michael here.

What this decision needs is a good design brief.
This article seems decent: https://yourcreativejunkie.com/logo-design-brief-the-ultimate-guide-for-designers/

Robin is right about the usage requirements.
It goes a bit beyond resolution. How does the logo work when it’s on a sticker on someone’s laptop? Might there be some cases, where you want to print it in black and white?

Posted by Ben Stopford <be...@confluent.io>.
Purely out of curiosity, why an otter? Is there some reasoning behind it or
is it just because it's cute?

Posted by Guozhang Wang <wa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Michael,

--
-- Guozhang

Re: [VOTE] KIP-657: Add Customized Kafka Streams Logo

Posted by Robin Moffatt <ro...@confluent.io>.

Posted by Robin Moffatt <ro...@confluent.io>.

Posted by Michael Noll <mi...@confluent.io>.
Hi all!

Posted by Michael Noll <mi...@confluent.io>.
Hi all!

Posted by "Matthias J. Sax" <mj...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Matthias J. Sax" <mj...@apache.org>.

Posted by Navinder Brar <na...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
Hi,

--
-- Guozhang

Re: [VOTE] KIP-657: Add Customized Kafka Streams Logo

Posted by Guozhang Wang <wa...@gmail.com>.

--
-- Guozhang

Re: [VOTE] KIP-657: Add Customized Kafka Streams Logo

Posted by Bruno Cadonna <br...@confluent.io>.
Thanks for the KIP!

Posted by Adam Bellemare <ad...@gmail.com>.