Posted to dev@openwhisk.apache.org by Matt Rutkowski <mr...@apache.org> on 2019/05/29 19:05:37 UTC

[REVIEW] draft proposal for TLP project charter and ASF board resolution

Dear Whiskers,

As a community we have been discussing the possibility of graduation for quite some time.  In the wake of the last legal hurdle being cleared (i.e., IBM completed transfer of all trademarks and name registrations to the ASF board) and in anticipation of a VOTE thread, I have created a page on our CWiki for drafting 2 artifacts we would need to present to the board as part of the process, that is the graduated project Charter (simple, straightforward) and the Resolution (which references the charter/project scope) to become a Top-Level-Project (TLP).

I am asking you all, as you did for the Maturity model review, to please help develop/review/comment on these items as well:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=115526932

Note that some background and links that describe the process and artifacts are included on the page as well.

FYI, I brought this up as a topic on the agenda of today's Tech. Int. call if you want my unedited "take" on the process and these items: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxxTLBC1QD8

Thanks for your help!
-Matt

Re: [REVIEW] draft proposal for TLP project charter and ASF board resolution

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Wed, May 29, 2019 at 9:05 PM Matt Rutkowski <mr...@apache.org> wrote:
> ...I am asking you all, as you did for the Maturity model review, to please help develop/review/comment on these items as well:
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=115526932 ...

I have removed the "establish bylaws" paragraph, that shouldn't be
included anymore, and also linked to a more recent example resolution
(NetBeans) than the ones that were there.

The rationale is that projects are encouraged to create community
guidelines, but the standard ASF bylaws should be sufficient.

-Bertrand

Re: [REVIEW] draft proposal for TLP project charter and ASF board resolution

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Tue, Jun 4, 2019 at 7:56 PM Matt Rutkowski <mr...@apache.org> wrote:
> ...Please check out the charter...

For the ${DESCRIPTION-AND-SCOPE} I think this is sufficient:

  "a platform for building Serverless applications with Functions"

That statement is mostly meant to identify what the project is about,
but it's not about defining a precise charter.

It's good IMO to keep this broad in the Board resolution, to avoid
having to change it if the project starts doing new things.

-Bertrand

Re: [REVIEW] draft proposal for TLP project charter and ASF board resolution

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.
I'd suggest to avoid boxing ourselves in by an overly specific project
mission. Anything that helps clarify the general field this project
encompasses without being too specific about underlying technology.
You can be more specific on the website, but it's not a great idea to
get too formal in the legal documents without understanding their
ramifications. :)

--
Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>

Re: [REVIEW] draft proposal for TLP project charter and ASF board resolution

Posted by Rodric Rabbah <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Matt Rutkowski <mr...@apache.org>.