Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Diego Cassinera <di...@mercadolibre.com> on 2008/11/19 18:44:51 UTC

altering the value of non indexed fields

Hello All

I´m writing an application to move full text search out of my rdbms.  Today
the app hits the db two times.  1) to do the search it self. 2) to format
the output of the search results.  In my plan I´m moving everything to
lucene documents that contain fields where I will be doing the search on and
non indexed fields that will be used for the formatting of the output.  The
problem  that I have is that some of these non indexed fields may change
from time to time.  As far as I read on the docs the only way to update
these fields is to delete the document all together and re-index the
document.  This in turn could be a waste of resources because some of my
documents are quite large.  So my question is, is there a way to change the
value of these fields without having to re-index the complete document.  A
note about by non indexed fields, their size will always remain the same
even do the value may change.

Thank You

Diego

Re: altering the value of non indexed fields

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.
Unfortunately, not yet.  There have been discussions about this,
including this issue for "column-stride fields":

But no real progress on it lately...

Mike