Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Fasihullah Askiri <fa...@baypackets.com> on 2006/04/27 06:00:10 UTC

[scxml] Joins/Parallels

I am trying to test the join/parallel usage.
This is what I did, I tried putting <join/> in various other places, but nothing seems to convince SCXML that it is a join. The worst was, scxml specs on w3c seem to be all in mess. Their examples are not even xml'ly correct. Also, the usage target="wait-for-the-sibbling i-am-done" is allowed as per the specs. SCXML does not seem to like this. Please clarify!

+Fasih

My XML
------

    	<parallel id="two-hellos">
      		<state id="call-1">
      			<initial>
		      		<transition target="say-hello"/>
    			</initial>
        		<state id="say-hello">
          			<transition target="wait-for-the-sibbling i-am-done"/>
        		</state>
        		<state id="i-am-done" final="true"/>
     		</state>
      		<state id="call-2">
      			<initial>
		      		<transition target="say-hello"/>
    			</initial>
        		<state id="say-hello">
          			<transition target="wait-for-the-sibbling"/>
        		</state>
         		<state id="i-am-done" final="true"/>
     		</state>
     			<join id="wait-for-the-sibbling">
         			<transition target="i-am-done"/>
        		</join>
    	</parallel>
  	</state>
</scxml>

Re: [scxml] Joins/Parallels

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.
On 4/27/06, Fasihullah Askiri <fa...@baypackets.com> wrote:
> I am trying to test the join/parallel usage.
> This is what I did, I tried putting <join/> in various other places, but nothing seems to convince SCXML that it is a join.
<snip/>

Parallel is supported, for instance this example similar to the one in
the WD (long URL):

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jakarta/commons/proper/scxml/trunk/src/test/java/org/apache/commons/scxml/env/jexl/microwave-02.xml

Join isn't supported by Commons SCXML. Two reasons:

(1) The WG seems to be moving away from these "pseudo-states". The
July 05 draft had join and synch. The January 06 draft has just join.
Trying to be good programmers, lets remain lazy and see what the next
draft brings.

(2) You can achieve similar results using appropriate guard
conditions, the SCXML In() predicate and scratch space variables, so
functionally, we probably just miss some syntactic sugar coating.

> The worst was, scxml specs on w3c seem to be all in mess. Their examples are not even xml'ly correct. Also, the usage target="wait-for-the-sibbling i-am-done" is allowed as per the specs. SCXML does not seem to like this. Please clarify!

<snip/>

You're saying target="foo-bar" doesn't work? Can't see why not.

-Rahul

> +Fasih
>
> My XML
> ------