Posted to dev@cxf.apache.org by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com> on 2021/04/16 09:29:19 UTC

CXF-7996 Jakarta EE TCKs and compatibility

Hi All,

Spinning a new thread as to not overload the original "@Encoded TCK issue" too much.

Thanks, Andriy, for the Jenkins information and TCK setup scripts.  Thanks also, Andy, for the link to the proper JIRA issue.

Here's what I've done.  I converted the Jenkinsfile into a script and hammered on it so it is more developer friendly.  Specifically, you can run one test or a chunk of tests.  As well it won't redo any setup steps unless needed.  It calculates a sha on your cxf-core jar and if that hasn't changed, it just goes straight to running the requested test.  This should make it easier for us to debug and work locally.

 - https://github.com/tckwork/cxf

If we want this, tell me where it should go and I'll submit a PR.  On the TomEE side, we keep a separate repo just for the TCK setup, which is kind of handy as it tends to grow over time and one setup can work for all our branches.  But anything works really.

I then downloaded the consoleText from the latest CXF-JAXRS-TCK job, parsed out each failing test, ran it locally, saved all the output and wrote a script to create a subtask on CXF-7996 for each failing test:

 - https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CXF-7996

The description of each subtask is the test name, a chunk of the output, and instructions on how to run the test.  Attached to each subtask is the full TCK test output and jtr file so people can browse the failures without having to run them directly.  Also attached is a `test.txt` file containing the test name so there is an easy way for future automated tools to know what issue to update as status changes.

If I've possibly overstepped creating all those subtasks, let me know and I can easily move them or delete them.  Totally fine.

-David

Re: CXF-7996 Jakarta EE TCKs and compatibility

Posted by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com>.
> On Apr 30, 2021, at 11:09 AM, David Blevins <da...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> There's a bunch of tests that got fixed because we weren't properly getting the classes a MessageBodyReader or Writer supports via it's generic declaration.  So there's a handful of tests that are fixed, but not explicitly called out by JIRA in the commit history of my branch.  I think this makes it harder for others to contribute because of not knowing which tests are still broken.  That has me second guessing my "too early for a PR" statement.
>
> I can think of two ways to approach this:
>
> - We just merge to master and deal with any breakage in master.
> - We spin off a branch and both work there.  We deal with the breakage and detailed reviewing before it's merged to master.

I created a PR so if we want to do either of these, we can.

 - https://github.com/apache/cxf/pull/783

No expectation that we actually do any of it.  I'm also putting the fixes here, so from a TomEE perspective we're fine and there's no time pressure:

 - https://github.com/apache/tomee-jakarta/tree/master/transform/src/patch/java/org/apache/cxf

We can merge at any time with any amount of rework before and/or after a merge.

Posted by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com>.
> On Apr 30, 2021, at 4:36 AM, Andriy Redko <dr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Thanks a lot for the update and leading the effort, the timelines are pretty rough!

Indeed.  Not a lot of sleeping going on!  But there is plenty of excitement, so that's good :)

> Anyway I have a fix for [1], will submit the PR shortly.
>
> [1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CXF-8518

Oh that's awesome.  That test was kicking my butt so I moved on to others.  What a relief.

There's a bunch of tests that got fixed because we weren't properly getting the classes a MessageBodyReader or Writer supports via it's generic declaration.  So there's a handful of tests that are fixed, but not explicitly called out by JIRA in the commit history of my branch.  I think this makes it harder for others to contribute because of not knowing which tests are still broken.  That has me second guessing my "too early for a PR" statement.

I can think of two ways to approach this:

 - We just merge to master and deal with any breakage in master.
 - We spin off a branch and both work there.  We deal with the breakage and detailed reviewing before it's merged to master.

Either way we'd probably want to duplicate the TCK job to point at the branch as I'm not sure aggressively merging to the "fixes" branch makes any of us too comfortable.

Thoughts?

-David

Posted by Andriy Redko <dr...@gmail.com>.
Hi David,

Thanks a lot for the update and leading the effort, the timelines are pretty rough!
Anyway I have a fix for [1], will submit the PR shortly.

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CXF-8518

Best Regards,
    Andriy Redko

Posted by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andriy Redko <dr...@gmail.com>.
Hi Andy,

Yes, sure, the test suite in question is org.apache.cxf.systest.jaxrs.JAXRSSoapBookTest, in
particular the test cases which use org.apache.cxf.systest.jaxrs.BookSubresource. In the
nutshell, in case of @FormParam("") the key is empty string ("") but it is not stored
as empty string in params (rather expanded). In this case the decode check is noop
essentially since there are no values stored under empty key. Please let me know
if you need simpler test case(s), I can add a few shortly.

Thanks a lot for looking.

Best Regards,
    Andriy Redko

Posted by Andy McCright <j....@gmail.com>.
Hi Andriy,

Posted by Andriy Redko <dr...@gmail.com>.
Hey guys,

Posted by Andy McCright <j....@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andriy Redko <dr...@gmail.com>.
Hi David,

Good idea to create a subtask for each failure, personally haven't found time to do that, my bad,
thank you. I will go over them and point to the relevant pull requests, some of these issues