Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by ronsho <ro...@ronsho.com> on 2011/03/06 14:42:09 UTC

ActiveMQ watchdog for a production environment

Hey,

I'm going to run ActiveMQ in a production environment and am worried about a
scenario where the ActiveMQ process goes down.
Do you have any experience with this scenario? Is there a watchdog for
ActiveMQ?

Thanks,
Ron.

Re: ActiveMQ watchdog for a production environment

Posted by Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 5:56 PM, Allen Reese <ar...@yahoo-inc.com> wrote:
> Here is a fixed patch.
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12473081/amq-298.patch
>
> I can't figure out how to remove the first patch.

No problem, I committed the new patch. Thanks, Allen!

Bruce
);'

Blog: http://bruceblog.org/
Twitter: http://twitter.com/brucesnyder

RE: ActiveMQ watchdog for a production environment

Posted by Allen Reese <ar...@yahoo-inc.com>.
Here is a fixed patch.
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12473081/amq-298.patch

I can't figure out how to remove the first patch.

--Allen

Posted by Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Allen Reese <ar...@yahoo-inc.com>.
Yeah 1.0.3 is fine.  1.0.5 is probably better, it has windows fixes.
I'm not sure how I get 1.0.4 down.  :)

Eventually, I'll unbury myself enough to take a hack on the startup scripts, but so far, I haven't yet.

--Allen

Posted by Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Allen Reese <ar...@yahoo-inc.com>.

Posted by Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Mar 6, 2011 at 4:58 PM, ronsho <ro...@ronsho.com> wrote:

> Bruce Snyder wrote:
>>
>> I have had very good success in using and recommending daemontools for
>> the production deployment of ActiveMQ and lots of other software:
>>

> Thanks Bruce, this is helpful.
>
> I've done some reading on the tanuki wrapper
> (http://wrapper.tanukisoftware.com), has anyone had some experience with it
> and ActiveMQ?

I have used the Tanuki wrapper in the past to run a Java app as a
Windoze service. I know it does have a basic watchdog capability but I
don't know much about it as I have not used it on other operating
systems.

Bruce
);'

Posted by ronsho <ro...@ronsho.com>.

Posted by Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Mar 6, 2011 at 6:42 AM, ronsho <ro...@ronsho.com> wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I'm going to run ActiveMQ in a production environment and am worried about a
> scenario where the ActiveMQ process goes down.
> Do you have any experience with this scenario? Is there a watchdog for
> ActiveMQ?

I have had very good success in using and recommending daemontools for
the production deployment of ActiveMQ and lots of other software:

http://cr.yp.to/daemontools.html

Daemontools provides utilities for Unix style logging and process
supervision and it works very well.

There's some info about setting up Daemontools and ActiveMQ here:

http://barkingiguana.com/2008/12/13/deploying-activemq-on-ubuntu-810/

Bruce
);'