Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org> on 2008/04/29 19:25:51 UTC

Milestone from trunk? (Was: [server] trunk -= IMAP/Mailbox source...?)

Robert Burrell Donkin ha scritto:
> without noel, you would need to persuade other developers who are not
> familiar with trunk to +1 rather than +0. reducing the volume of code
> which must be reviewed would reduce the task involved in review and so
> increase the chances of independent review. releasing code as
> libraries rather than a monolithic application also reduces the effort
> required to review a release.

I'm not 100% sure but my understanding is that at least me, Norman and
Bernd are +1 about releasing a milestone from trunk. I think what we
miss is just a release manager, not the 3 +1 ;-)

> i would really like to be able to release a lightweight, embeddable
> SMTP protocol handling library. there is lots of interested in
> lightweight embeddable protocol handling libraries and since it's a
> library and not a server, then arguments about compliant default
> configurations would be irrelevant. lots of people are interested in
> fail-fast and releasing it in a library would help focus discussion in
> a positive way.
>
> in the medium term, i can see big advantages in eventually being able
> to maintain SMTP separately. the same engine could be used in
> different versions of JAMES.

I will probably have updates in the next months on a related issue.

>>  Most of the code written in trunk has been written while v2.3 was prepared.
>> Most code that was simply backportable have been backported at that time.
>> Most changes that required API changes or changes in services/coupling
>> components structure was confined to trunk for the following major release.
>> Some of the code in trunk has been written 3 years ago... we should probably
>> rename "trunk" to "decanter" ;-)
>
> yeh: that was the problem. i think that we now need to decant the code
> from trunk into libraries so that it can be used in 2.x.

This is my point: *most* of that code require altered version of service
interfaces or core api. If you extract libraries from trunk they won't
work in 2.3.

Stefano

Re: Milestone from trunk? (Was: [server] trunk -= IMAP/Mailbox source...?)

Posted by Bernd Fondermann <be...@googlemail.com>.
On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 7:25 PM, Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org> wrote:
> Robert Burrell Donkin ha scritto:
>
> > without noel, you would need to persuade other developers who are not
> > familiar with trunk to +1 rather than +0. reducing the volume of code
> > which must be reviewed would reduce the task involved in review and so
> > increase the chances of independent review. releasing code as
> > libraries rather than a monolithic application also reduces the effort
> > required to review a release.
> >

>  I'm not 100% sure but my understanding is that at least me, Norman and
> Bernd are +1 about releasing a milestone from trunk. I think what we miss is
> just a release manager, not the 3 +1 ;-)

indeed, I am +1.

  Bernd