Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Alon Lutzker <al...@checkpoint.com> on 2002/08/18 14:15:05 UTC

virtual hosting for muliple applications

Hi All,

I'm a bit new to the whole tomcat/apache/mod_jk thing, so I was looking for
some advice on virtual hosting.

I would like to run tomcat with 2-3 different applications, with 2-5
loadballanced tomcat instances for each application. from "RTFMing", I have
seen that the way to do this would be using virtual hosts.

The architecture that I'm trying to implement looks like this:
httpserver[Virtual host 1.1.1.1] >> tomcatserver [application1_instance01]
httpserver[Virtual host 1.1.1.1] >> tomcatserver [application1_instance02]
httpserver [virtual host 1.1.1.2 >> tomcatserver [application2_instance01]
httpserver [virtual host 1.1.1.2 >> tomcatserver [application2_instance02]
Each java application is different, and I can't have users that go to the
website 1.1.1.1 going to website 1.1.1.2.

I found some excellent documents on this subject, but it wasn't clear to me
if I could do use these with completely different applications. The seemed
to be relevant only for different instances of the same applications via
different virtual hosts.

Has anyone had any experience with such an architecture?

Here are the docs that I have seen:

http://carnagepro.com/pub/Docs/Tomcat/tomcat-apache-howto.html#virtual_hosti
ng

Thanks,