Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com> on 2006/05/23 22:02:43 UTC

Clarification requests on RTC

I'm unclear as to the required procedure for RTC.  Is it required to
literally include the patch contents in an email to the dev list or
does a link to a JIRA issue suffice?

For an patch by a non-committer attached to a JIRA issue that I wish
to apply, can I vote for it or does it in fact require 4 committer
votes, as apparently a patch I come up with does?

Lets consider a concrete example:

In particular I'm looking at http://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/
attachment/12334350/GERONIMO-2006.patch attached to http://
issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO-2006

Assuming I conclude that this patch is appropriate, do I:

-- copy the patch into an email I send to the dev list, indicating
that I think it should be applied

-- send an email with the above links, indicating I think it should
be applied.

Then, do I need 2 or 3 additional +1s?

Thanks
david jencks

Re: Clarification requests on RTC

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
On Tue, May 23, 2006 at 01:02:43PM -0700, David Jencks wrote:
> I'm unclear as to the required procedure for RTC.  Is it required to
> literally include the patch contents in an email to the dev list or
> does a link to a JIRA issue suffice?

A patch by reference is just fine. You're still getting multiple peers to
look at and review/comment on the patch. It is no longer a solo action,
but a group action.

> For an patch by a non-committer attached to a JIRA issue that I wish
> to apply, can I vote for it or does it in fact require 4 committer
> votes, as apparently a patch I come up with does?

You're the committer offering up a patch that you believe should be
committed to the repository. Sure, the patch happens to come from somebody
else, but you're the committer. Get three peers to support you, and you're
good to go.

Cheers,
-g

--