Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Matt Benson <gu...@yahoo.com> on 2009/04/13 19:38:38 UTC

Commons issues WAS RE: [PROPOSAL] Commons Incubator

Received 3 declarations of intent to -1 (vote not in progress yet) from IPMC members so perhaps it's time to step back and talk about requirements since the proposed solution seems to sit unfavorably with several people on this list.  Further commentary below:

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Apr 15, 2009 at 9:56 AM, Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 2:22 PM, Jochen Wiedmann
> <jo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Commons is working *now*. Just as Jakarta was working once. But
>> Commons will most likely no longer work when it is growing too much.
>> And the things discussed here (making Commons the target of many new
>> subprojects, which aren't integrated into Commons, thus must likely
>> will never be) are clearly implying this danger. That's not about
>> external committers. It is about too many committers.
>
> Ah! I sure can relate to this, but isn't this a different issue altogether?

It possibly is, if my understanding of a "Commons Incubator" being
related to the Commons project is wrong.

> And in what sense would a "permanent commons incubation project" help with this?

It wouldn't. I am opposing such a project.

Jochen

--
I have always wished for my computer to be as easy to use as my
how to use my telephone.

    -- (Bjarne Stroustrup,
http://www.research.att.com/~bs/bs_faq.html#really-say-that
       My guess: Nokia E50)

Re: Commons issues WAS RE: [PROPOSAL] Commons Incubator

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
<jo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Commons is working *now*. Just as Jakarta was working once. But
> Commons will most likely no longer work when it is growing too much.
> And the things discussed here (making Commons the target of many new
> subprojects, which aren't integrated into Commons, thus must likely
> will never be) are clearly implying this danger. That's not about
> external committers. It is about too many committers.

Ah! I sure can relate to this, but isn't this a different issue altogether?

And in what sense would a "permanent commons incubation project" help with this?

>> I am still of the opinion that it can be handled within Commons, with
>> IP Clearance registrations at the Incubator.
>
> Disagreed. Assuming that the Incubator changes its policy to have
> projects exiting without community: Why can't another project be the
> target (depending on the projects topic, of course). Why should this
> be so special to Commons?

I hope I have never singled out Commons. Apache Felix is accepting
some relatively small codebases every now and then, via the
IP-clearance process and 'internal committer training' if you like
such term. The result is mixed, some people come in and continue to
work on the code, some don't but IMHO there has not been any harm.
Active committers are on the PMC, the inactive or AWOL ones are not.
And Felix typically don't bother with a 'special area' and instead
embrace the codebase and try to assist as much as possible to bring it
up to ASF standards.
I am pretty sure this happens elsewhere (I don't hang around that many
projects), and IMHO a good thing, which I would like to see happen in
Commons as well. And the Commons PMC should be very conscious about
what makes sense, feels right and can be supported.

Cheers
--
Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer

I  live here; http://tinyurl.com/2qq9er
I  work here; http://tinyurl.com/2ymelc
I relax here; http://tinyurl.com/2cgsug

Re: Commons issues WAS RE: [PROPOSAL] Commons Incubator

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 4:42 AM, Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org> wrote:

> There seems to be some concern in Commons that committers are a threat
> to the existing codebase.

I know the concerns you mention and felt them very much in the
discussion about JSch. But, at least for me personally, I don't think
that's my concern.

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 1:38 AM, Matt Benson <gu...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> The primary obstacle to Commons using the normal Incubator practices is the community exit requirements.  We feel that, due to the small size/scope of a Commons component, a podling graduating into Commons should be able to do so with a minimal community PROVIDED that there is a total of at least three guardians (to play on the orphan concept) including the podling committers (becoming full Commons committers, with all that implies) in addition to existing Commons committers who explicitly declare themselves interested and available to support the graduating component.

IMVHO, nothing is changing.
There seems to be some concern in Commons that committers are a threat
to the existing codebase. My answer is; No, that is a hostile attitude
towards decent people. If a component never leaves the sandbox, or the
'maintainer' goes AWOL before it gets enough momentum or whatever, it
doesn't matter that the individual still have commit access. He/She
won't use it. It is no different than some other committer goes AWOL.
Now, in the very unlikely event that the committer makes malicious
attempt at sabotage, THEN bring up the issue and expel him/her from
ASF.
And the "I am committer at ASF" argument is completely loosing its
meaning. Soon half of the 'thinking' Java world are committers here.
And IFF it positively affects some individual who didn't 'earned' it,
So what? Does it affect us? Not a bit.