Posted to users@jena.apache.org by Martynas Jusevičius <ma...@graphity.org> on 2016/06/08 14:22:09 UTC

Customizing RDF/XML writer for quads

Hey,

would it be possible to adopt RDF/XML writer for quads (Dataset)? What
would that take?

I know it would involve a non-standard syntax, but if we used
namespaced attributes, XML-compatible tools shouldn't break.

I am thinking it should be possible to add an attribute (e.g.
rdfx:graph) with graph name on each of the property elements,
something like this:

<rdf:Description rdf:about="https://www.w3.org/People/Berners-Lee/card#i">
  <foaf:givenName
rdfx:graph="https://www.w3.org/People/Berners-Lee/card">Tim</foaf:givenName>
  <foaf:familyName
rdfx:graph=http://data.semanticweb.org/person/tim-berners-lee/rdf"">Berners-Lee</foaf:familyName>
</rdf:Description>

What do you think? Would someone else be interested in such
serialization? I know there is TriX, but it is not convenient for XSLT
transformation.

Martynas
atomgraph.com

Re: Customizing RDF/XML writer for quads

Posted by Alexandra Kokkinaki <al...@gmail.com>.
Andy thanks, I have been thinking  over your idea and I think it is
brilliant.
Instead of using the graphs, I will reify my mappings using one URL per
mapping resolving to the reified statement and the provenance information.

Many thanks
Alexandra

P.S. If you are interested, I can post the example RDF as well.

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.

Posted by Alexandra Kokkinaki <al...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.
Alexandra,

Posted by Martynas Jusevičius <ma...@atomgraph.com>.
TriX is of course better than nothing, but it's not really an adequate
replacement as its triple/quad based and not resource (/graph - which is
currently missing) based as RDF/XML.

There is a RAX Community Group at W3C that aimed to address the RDF and XML
intersection, but it hasn't produced much beyond the following document. My
arguments on why RDF/XML with graph support would be useful:
https://www.w3.org/community/rax/wiki/Draft_Material#XML_formats_for_RDF_datasets_.28quads.29

Posted by ajs6f <aj...@apache.org>.

Posted by Alexandra Kokkinaki <al...@gmail.com>.
Dear all,

Posted by Martynas Jusevičius <ma...@atomgraph.com>.

Posted by Martynas Jusevičius <ma...@atomgraph.com>.

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.

Posted by Martynas Jusevičius <ma...@atomgraph.com>.

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.

Posted by Martynas Jusevičius <ma...@atomgraph.com>.
We already have a bunch of XSLT stylesheets for RDF/XML:
https://github.com/AtomGraph/Web-Client/tree/master/src/main/webapp/static/org/graphity/client/xsl

document() doesn't help as we want to keep track of named graphs, for
provenance/UI reasons. This thread explains more:
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-lod/2016Jun/0003.html

Posted by "A. Soroka" <aj...@virginia.edu>.