Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by Paul Gale <pa...@gmail.com> on 2013/05/10 16:49:05 UTC

Options for STOMP transport connector

Hi,

Can the following options also be used on a STOMP transport connector?

watchAdvisoryTopics, alwaysSessionAsync and dispatchAsync

Thanks,
Paul

Re: Options for STOMP transport connector

Posted by Christian Posta <ch...@gmail.com>.
Paul, I'll update the wiki tonight with your suggestions.

You asked earlier about:

"Can the following options also be used on a STOMP transport connector?

watchAdvisoryTopics, alwaysSessionAsync and dispatchAsync"

*Transport connectors* are a broker configuration, ie, <transportConnector
uri="..." />
The options you asked about, watchAdvisoryTopics, alwaysSessionAsync, etc
are settings to make on the client side as the configure the client
connection.

transport.* options can be made on client or broker side as they configure
the underlying transport objects.

Sorry for the confusion.

Posted by Paul Gale <pa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Christian,

Posted by Christian Posta <ch...@gmail.com>.
inline...

On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 6:44 PM, Paul Gale <pa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Christian,
> *
> >What client are you using to connect with JMS?*
> Java JMS, .NET and Ruby based STOMP clients. I'm only involved with the
> Ruby clients. I have no idea how a JMS client is coded.
>
> Are all of these options reserved exclusively for non-STOMP clients?
> http://activemq.apache.org/tcp-transport-reference.html

No. those configure the TCP transport. They are not openwire or STOMP
exclusive. They are also not client or broker specific. I can update the
wiki, but they can more explicitly be set as "transport.soTimeout" or
"transport.soLinger"...

> Are all of these options available for both clients and brokers?
> http://activemq.apache.org/configuring-wire-formats.html

Yes, these configure the wire-level protocol options (openwire). They are
specific to openwire.

> Lastly, can these options be specified on a broker's non-STOMP transport
> connector URI (I presume they're illegal on a STOMP transport connector)?
>
> transport.ioBufferSize=16384
> transport.maximumConnections=1000
> transport.soTimeout=10000
> transport.soWriteTimeout=10000
> transport.socketBufferSize=131072
> transport.threadName

Yes. But regarding your question previously asked... those options are
reserved for client-side settings.

> During startup, it would be nice if ActiveMQ logged the options, parsed
> from the transport connector's URI, that will be honored and warned about
> those that will be ignored. I read somewhere that incorrect options are
> 'silently' ignored. Why silently? Log a warning for each ignored option!

Thanks for your feedback. I will double check the debug-level settings and
add this if they don't already to that.

> Sorry for asking multiple questions in a single email: multiple answers are
> much appreciated.

good questions :) no worries.

Posted by Paul Gale <pa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Christian,