Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org> on 2003/10/01 01:29:25 UTC

The Forrest Option

I know the discussion on whether to use Forrest or Maven to generate the
Struts website was a few weeks back, but unfortunately, at the time, I was
too busy to participate.  I'd like to lay out a case for Forrest, not to
insist Struts uses it, but rather to make sure the decision is made with
all the available information.

In short, Forrest offers these benefits over Maven's website generation:

 - Multiple output formats including PDF and HTML
 - SVG to PNG rendering
 - Built for handling and aggregating multiple XML sources like RRS (soon
wiki and Docbook)
 - Power and features of Cocoon including charting, web services
integration, scripting support, etc.

Further, deciding between Forrest and Maven isn't an either/or situation.
There exists a Forrest plugin for Maven and it would be easy to integrate
Maven's reports into a Forrest site build.

To me, the key feature of Forrest is the first one listed, multiple
outputs.  This is especially useful for documentation as PDF is much
better than HTML for printing for the many users that like hard copies.

Finally, Forrest content is built to be presented in not only multiple
output formats, but multiple skins.  To demonstrate this, I've quickly
redone the Struts site into Forrest format (which is very similiar to the
current format thanks to the xhtml work of late).  I've only converted the
menu and the main page, which should be sufficient.

Please note, this examples are not polished and only serve to demonstrate
the skinability of Forrest.

Krysalis style:           http://www.twdata.org/dakine/site/
Avalon/Tigris style:      http://www.twdata.org/dakine/site1/
Forrest/XML Apache style: http://www.twdata.org/dakine/site2/

If we did decide to go with Forrest, I'm willing to convert the old site
over and help handle any integration.  I'm most definately not an expert
at Forrest, but am familiar with Cocoon and thankfully, Forrest is pretty
easy.

Don

Re: The Forrest Option

Posted by Robert Leland <rl...@apache.org>.
David Graham wrote:

>--- Robert Leland <rl...@apache.org> wrote:
>

>>Don,
>>
>>  I have one request and that is to leave the existing maven files
>>  in place since they do currently generate a web site with the reports.
>>

>I must be confused with the several projects I'm working on.  So, Maven is
>already setup in Struts to run the builds?  If so, why are we going to add
>Forrest to the builds?  Why not just start building the site and distro
>with Maven?

The site was about like what Don had the front page, along with
javadoc(current+legacy), clover reports, PMD, changelogs.
In fact it had all the features that the commons validator does, check
it out:
    http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/validator/index.html
What was needed was to tie in the userguide, and other more detailed docs,
which should have been straight forward, but I have so little time now.

What wasn't setup in the builds was the sub-projects of contrib, etc...

Re: The Forrest Option

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
Robert Leland wrote:
 > The whole Maven idea came because we felt the build
 > process of ant struts-legacy was broken or needed some
 > serious work. If Don wants to put energy into redoing our site's look
 > and feel that then here is my +1. Just know we are still
 > left with the original problem.

Struts-Legacy is a very special case. By rights, it should have gone to
the Commons. It should be treated as if it were an external product. So,
just like the Commons JARs, if you were doing everything from scratch,
you would build struts-legacy first, and then the Struts core.

It's possible that the underlying problem is that we didn't release a
struts-lib distribution with Struts 1.1 (as we did with some of the
milestones).

-Ted.

Re: Build improvements (was Re: The Forrest Option)

Posted by Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org>.
On Wed, 1 Oct 2003, Ted Husted wrote:
<snip />
> Ah, well, you see we don't have JARs in our CVS. That's one of the
> reasons people have trouble building Struts at first. They have to go
> off and snag all the JARs themselves. Though, it seems like ruper might
> help in that regard.

Doh!  I blocked out the memory of having to get everything setup.  I do
that with traumatic events :)

Don

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Chris Gastin <ch...@gastin.com>.
Don:

I don't know much about Forrest, but I am starting to read up on it, where
possible. I am willing to throw some muscle work your way, just let me know
what I can do.

Chris Gastin

Posted by Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org>.

Re: The Forrest Option

Re: The Forrest Option

Posted by David Graham <gr...@yahoo.com>.

Re: The Forrest Option

Posted by Robert Leland <rl...@apache.org>.
Don,

Re: The Forrest Option

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.
Don Brown wrote:

>I know the discussion on whether to use Forrest or Maven to generate the
>Struts website was a few weeks back, but unfortunately, at the time, I was
>too busy to participate.  I'd like to lay out a case for Forrest, not to
>insist Struts uses it, but rather to make sure the decision is made with
>all the available information.
>
>In short, Forrest offers these benefits over Maven's website generation:
>
> - Multiple output formats including PDF and HTML
> - SVG to PNG rendering
> - Built for handling and aggregating multiple XML sources like RRS (soon
>wiki and Docbook)
> - Power and features of Cocoon including charting, web services
>integration, scripting support, etc.
>
>Further, deciding between Forrest and Maven isn't an either/or situation.
>There exists a Forrest plugin for Maven and it would be easy to integrate
>Maven's reports into a Forrest site build.
>
>To me, the key feature of Forrest is the first one listed, multiple
>outputs.  This is especially useful for documentation as PDF is much
>better than HTML for printing for the many users that like hard copies.
>
>Finally, Forrest content is built to be presented in not only multiple
>output formats, but multiple skins.  To demonstrate this, I've quickly
>redone the Struts site into Forrest format (which is very similiar to the
>current format thanks to the xhtml work of late).  I've only converted the
>menu and the main page, which should be sufficient.
>
>Please note, this examples are not polished and only serve to demonstrate
>the skinability of Forrest.
>
>Krysalis style:           http://www.twdata.org/dakine/site/
>Avalon/Tigris style:      http://www.twdata.org/dakine/site1/
>Forrest/XML Apache style: http://www.twdata.org/dakine/site2/
>
>If we did decide to go with Forrest, I'm willing to convert the old site
>over and help handle any integration.  I'm most definately not an expert
>at Forrest, but am familiar with Cocoon and thankfully, Forrest is pretty
>easy.

Looking at the potential here, I'm inclined to suggest we accept Don's
offer to help set this up -- although perhaps at first in a standalone
directory structure that can be undone if we discover that we don't like
it.  One advantage is that we can do it without having to migrate the
build system to Maven first.

As for skins, I sure like the Avalon/Tigris or Krysalis examples, and
sure wonder why the Forrest developers chose the native style they ship
with, when they could do something as nice looking as either of these.
But, if I understand what you're saying, skins is essentially a runtime
(when you're generating the HTML) choice; we don't have to make an
irrevocable decision at any point in time.

>Don

Craig

Re: The Forrest Option

Posted by Robert Leland <rl...@apache.org>.
David Graham wrote:

>The Forrest features Don mentioned aren't significant to me and I'm
>already familiar with Maven so I'm leaning towards Maven but I really
>don't care as long as the build is as easy as "maven jar" or equivalent.
>But please let's not try to maintain multiple build processes.

I was looking at the Forrest archives and it looks like they are in the
early stages of creating
a build system. Until that time then it we have the choices of Maven,
Maven + Forrest, or Forrest + Ant.

Re: [Vote] Choosing a build/doc gen tool(s) [was: Re: The Forrest Option]

Posted by Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org>.
It might be broken, but then again, we aren't using Maven today anyways.
I asked him about it, and he said last he heard it was working, some
people reported it buggy, but since no one was using it, it was staying
in jira until someone could put time into it.  If we moved to Forrest, I
would certainly put time in fixing it and getting it added to Maven's
repository.

Don

Posted by Robert Leland <rl...@apache.org>.

Posted by Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org>.
I believe the question is not between maven and forrest, but rather
between Anakia/xdoc and forrest.  It is entirely possible to even use all
the report output from Maven and include it in a forrest build of the
website.  Default Maven uses the xdoc plugin.  All forrest would be doing
is replacing it with the Forrst plugin.  You would still be able to get
all the Maven-generated content.

Forrest is not a built tool.  It only replaces xdoc whether we keep Ant or
go to Maven.

Could this vote not be redone?

 Mavenization with xdoc plugin:
 [ ] +1 - I am in favor of using Maven and the xdoc plugin
 [ ] +0 - I agree, but cannot help at this time.
 [ ] -0 - I don't agree, but not enough to give a -1.
 [ ] -1 - I am not in favor of using the xdoc plugin

 Mavenization with the Forrest plugin:
 [ ] +1 - I am in favor of using Forrest instead of xdoc.
 [ ] +0 - I agree, but cannot help at this time.
 [ ] -0 - I don't agree, but not enough to give a -1.
 [ ] -1 - I am not in favor of using Forrest instead of xdoc.

I'm assuming a move to Maven is inevitable?

Don

Re: [Vote] Choosing a build/doc gen tool(s) [was: Re: The Forrest Option]

Posted by Robert Leland <rl...@apache.org>.
Steve Raeburn wrote:

>Well Rob has already made a start on adding Maven. I did try building with
>it, but hit a snag downloading the validator jar and I've not had a chance
>to have another look since.

Typically, an request is posted on the developers list requestiong that
a jar be uploaded to
their repository. I'll do that now.

I would like ot see Maven all the way but since this isn't part of core
Struts then I feel I don't
have a real right to vote -1, it's not life or death.

I agree if Don wants to 'roll' their sleeves up and do Forrest then Ok.
If someone want's to roll their sleeves up and do maven than that's good
also.
My guess is that putting the struts docs in Maven/Forrest would take
about the same amount of time.
Menu entries are placed in the navigation.xml file and it flows down
from there.
It could be as easy as copying all the .xml files from doc -> xdoc,
though I believe the
XML element names might have to change.

As far as stability, Maven is very stable. I had been running off the
CVS HEAD for a while.
I believe they are going to come out with RC2 in the next few weeks,
they were talking about this
weekend, but nothing ever happens that quickly. Of course the project
leader Jason is back from
an extended leave so who knows.

Again if there are no Volunteers stepping up for Maven and Don wants to
mover over to Forrest
then +1.

-Rob

Posted by Joe Germuska <Jo...@Germuska.com>.
At 11:04 -0700 10/2/03, Steve Raeburn wrote:
>Well Rob has already made a start on adding Maven. I did try building with
>it, but hit a snag downloading the validator jar and I've not had a chance
>to have another look since.

The snag is that commons-validator-1.1.0.jar is not on the default
(iBiblio) repository.  If you get a copy in your own maven
repository, you'll be fine.  (I just put in a formal request to have
it uploaded, ref:
http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/ViewIssue.jspa?key=MAVEN-879)

If you have the binary for the jar, you can just drop it in your
local repository (on UNIX systems, that would normally be
~/.maven/repository/commons-logging/jars/ -- not real sure for
Windows.)

In theory, you should be able to check out commons-validator from CVS
and install it using "maven jar:install", but I was having problems
with tests last time I tried (weeks ago).  You could use "maven
-Dmaven.test.failure.ignore=true jar:install" instead.

Once that's installed, maven java:compile works file for the current
CVS repository of Struts.  Yesterday I had trouble with "maven site".

I'm hoping to provide some energy to help Rob, but I'm on a deadline
this week and next.  I actually don't have much Maven experience on
something as large as this -- Rob is forging out into the new Maven
"multiproject" plugin, which I hope to learn about but haven't yet...

It's still premature to drop the Ant build, but Maven is ready for
use, say if you want to use it to set up an IDE project in Eclipse,
JBuilder or IDEA, and like I said, for compiling.  Actually, I'd be
better able to help if people started posting bugs about it...  so
i'd say "dive in!"  It's pretty non-invasive.

Joe

--
Joe Germuska
Joe@Germuska.com

RE: [Vote] Choosing a build/doc gen tool(s) [was: Re: The Forrest Option]

Posted by Steve Raeburn <sr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Steve Raeburn <sr...@apache.org>.
Maven: +1
Forrest: -0
Forrest plug-in: Possibly, but not yet.

I'm more interested in streamlining the build and I don't consider the
website production to be  broken, so Forrest is not a big priority for me.
I'm not saying never, but I see Maven as more of a priority and would rather
wait and see on Forrest.

Re: The Forrest Option

Posted by Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org>.

Re: The Forrest Option

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.
David Graham wrote:

>--- Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org> wrote:
>

>>David Graham wrote:
>>

>>>Rob mentioned something about Struts being setup for Maven already and

>>>asked for clarification.  If that's true then I see no point in
>>>complicating things with another build tool.  Also, it seems that
>>>

>>Maven in
>>

>>>some ways is a superset of Forrest functionality.  It handles the
>>>

>>website
>>

>>>plus the jar builds.
>>>
>>>The more tools involved means it's harder to understand the build
>>>

>>process
>>

>>>which limits the number of people willing to put up with it and work
>>>

>>on
>>

>>>Struts.  My personal goal (and I hope the group's as well) is to have
>>>*one* easy to use tool that builds all of Struts.  I don't care if
>>>

>>this is
>>

>>>Ant, Maven, or Forrest as long as it's only one of them.
>>>
>>>David
>>>

>>Yes, but the goals around here are achieved by people willing to do the
>>work.
>>

>I agree with you but it would be nice to have some kind of consensus
>around the direction the build is going.
>
>I trust Don's judgement that Forrest is a good tool to use but I didn't
>want the build to increase in complexity.  We can apparently plug Forrest
>into a Maven build which I think is great.

<ducks>
We can even add Forrest-based generation to our current Ant-based build
scripts :-).  It's just an external tool, after all.
</ducks>

>There's only so much time we each have to spend on Struts.  I'd rather not
>spend much time learning the build process.
>
>David

Craig

Re: The Forrest Option

Posted by David Graham <gr...@yahoo.com>.

Re: The Forrest Option

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.

Re: The Forrest Option

Posted by David Graham <gr...@yahoo.com>.
--- Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 1 Oct 2003, David Graham wrote:
> <snip />
> > Rob mentioned something about Struts being setup for Maven already and
> > asked for clarification.  If that's true then I see no point in
> > complicating things with another build tool.  Also, it seems that
> Maven in
> > some ways is a superset of Forrest functionality.  It handles the
> website
> > plus the jar builds.
>
> Forrest is not a build tool.  If we went with Maven, Forrest would just
> be
> another plugin, just like most people use the default site building
> plugin.
>
> > The more tools involved means it's harder to understand the build
> process
> > which limits the number of people willing to put up with it and work
> on
> > Struts.  My personal goal (and I hope the group's as well) is to have
> > *one* easy to use tool that builds all of Struts.  I don't care if
> this is
> > Ant, Maven, or Forrest as long as it's only one of them.
>
> I agree, but if a Forrest plugin for Maven is used, you still use one
> tool
> to build all of Struts.

Great, that sounds like we can get the features of Forrest while still
using one tool.  Thanks for the explanation.

David

Re: The Forrest Option

Posted by Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org>.

Re: The Forrest Option

Posted by David Graham <gr...@yahoo.com>.

Re: The Forrest Option

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.

Re: The Forrest Option

Re: The Forrest Option

Posted by David Graham <gr...@yahoo.com>.

Re: The Forrest Option

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.

Re: The Forrest Option

Posted by Vic Cekvenich <ce...@basebeans.com>.
Don Brown wrote:
<SNIP>
> If we did decide to go with Forrest, I'm willing to convert the old site
> over and help handle any integration.
<SNIP>

AFAIK, that is 90%+ of O.S.

.V

Re: The Forrest Option

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>.
<decloak/>

(it's sad the number of lists I lurk on)

Just thought I'd throw in a few points..

 - Forrest is *purely* a documentation tool.  It is comparable to Maven's
   xdoc plugin, not Maven itself.  Compared to the xdoc plugin, it is
   bigger, slower, more powerful.  Running Forrest feels like firing a
   BFG2000 in Quake.  Slow build-up, WHOOMPH, casualties everywhere.  If
   you don't kill yourself, the effects can be impressive.

 - Forrest does not assume responsibility for the whole website, just the
   parts it renders.  So a javadoc link would be added to the menu, but
   whatever calls Forrest would have to also call Javadoc.

 - Forrest has fine-grained PDF generation (per page or per set of
   pages), so you could partition off a section (the user manual for
   example) and generate a PDF (or one-page HTML) for just that section.

 - Forrest's Maven plugin is mostly unused and probably broken (it's in
   Forrest's JIRA if anyone wants to play).

 - Forrest is massive (13Mb of Cocoon jars) and command-line rendering
   relatively slow.  Implies that even if the plugin worked,
   'site:generate' could not be a commonly invoked goal.

 - Slowness of command-line rendering is irrelevant for daily editing,
   because:
    - Most people would not need Forrest to develop docs.  Forrest
      completely separates content from presentation, with strong and
      stable contracts between (DTDs).  Doc writers can just write XML
      content, and if it validates, safely check it in.  Rendered results
      can be viewed (and committed to jakarta-site) through an online
      service like http://forrestbot.cocoondev.org.
    - Forrest has a built-in Jetty server, so for writers wanting visual
      feedback, edited pages can be rerendered instantly with Cocoon.

 - *Lots* of stuff (charting, scripting etc) is possible with Cocoon but
   isn't in Forrest until we find a half-decent use-case.  Wiki rendering
   is so that you can integrate a Wiki's text files into a Forrest-built
   site: http://www.apache.org/~jefft/forrest/samples/wikirenderer-site/
   The latest thing to be pulled in from Cocoon is Lucene searching.

--Jeff

(Forrest developer / BFG vendor)

Re: The Forrest Option

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
Don Brown wrote:
> For example, currently, we have quite a few Struts extensions, example
> applications, and related frameworks that I feel Struts could do a better
> job of encouraging.  Instead of requiring an extension developer to submit
> a patch to bugzilla to change a description or add their project to the
> page, why not have a page that aggregates extension project's RSS
> announcing new releases into a news-type page.  Giving extension projects
> more exposure will generate more interest in finding ways to make Struts
> better.  Look what it did for Maven :)

How about if we give a wider trial Forrest on the Community section
first? This would be mainly News and Status, Resources, and could also
include a Wiki compilation.

If it doesn't work out, the Community section would be easy enough to
roll back.

-Ted.

Re: The Forrest Option

Posted by Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org>.
On Tue, 30 Sep 2003, Robert Leland wrote:
<snip />
> I prefer Maven because it provides builds, testing, QA tools, and site
> generation in one tool.
> The repository of binaries makes building a distribution or maven
> enabled site as easy as typeing,
> 'maven' for new users.
> Changing the look/skin is straight forward, though as I say below I
> wouldn't invest alot of time
> tweaking it.

When you say one tool, you mean Maven plus any plugins that you need to do
what you want, like generate PDF.  Since there is a Forrest plugin for
Maven, you still get all the "ease of use" of Maven.

> My main question to the items below is 'which of these features would we
> use for the struts site'
>
> >In short, Forrest offers these benefits over Maven's website generation:
> >
> > - Multiple output formats including PDF and HTML
> >

> Maven has been doing this for a while now..

If you mean the PDF plugin, it seems from its page that all it does is
create one PDF of the whole site.  Can you create PDF's of each page,
sections containing multiple pages?  Its hard to evaluate the PDF plugin
as its documention is really lacking.

> > - SVG to PNG rendering
> > - Built for handling and aggregating multiple XML sources like RRS (soon
> >wiki and Docbook)
> >

> Maven currently handles RRS, Docbook, and a few other formats, including
> the ability to take a
> preexisting framed html like JavaDoc and take it apart and assemble it
> again with a .maven wrapper.
> What's the wiki thing, and why do you think that would be usefull ?.

The Wiki support currently in Forrest, albeit under construction, supports
the parsing of Wiki text files for rendering.  This allows the Wiki
information to be ran through the XML pipeline, most likely to end up as a
PDF. The ability to create PDF's out of wiki text would make wiki
information more useful, IMO.

> Could you give an example how multiple XML sources
> would be aggregated and used as a single source. How is this capability
> an advantage for
> the struts web site.

For example, currently, we have quite a few Struts extensions, example
applications, and related frameworks that I feel Struts could do a better
job of encouraging.  Instead of requiring an extension developer to submit
a patch to bugzilla to change a description or add their project to the
page, why not have a page that aggregates extension project's RSS
announcing new releases into a news-type page.  Giving extension projects
more exposure will generate more interest in finding ways to make Struts
better.  Look what it did for Maven :)

> > - Power and features of Cocoon including charting, web services
> >integration, scripting support, etc.
> >

> Charting is nice. What types of charting do we get for free or almost
> free that would help
> with our site. I believe Maven can provide charts about bugs reports,

While I mentioned these as nice features to have available, I wouldn't
mind have a page of graphs and statistics showing downloads, new bugs,
percentage of bugs as enhancements, number of bugs to go before the next
release, etc.  In my experience, people love the concept of a "dashboard"
and what better way to get people more interested in fixing bugs?

> which I don't EVEN want to see ;-). How does web services/scripting fit
> into our needs?

The ability to embed small BSF-compatible scripts in the documentation
build process is a nice way to make something that would be more complex
using Ant/Jelly easy. Especially useful in something like the statistics I
mentioned earlier.

> >Further, deciding between Forrest and Maven isn't an either/or situation.
> >There exists a Forrest plugin for Maven and it would be easy to integrate
> >Maven's reports into a Forrest site build.
> >

> I am assuming this plugin uses the maven xml doc files and generates
> forrest docs ?

No, just as the xdoc plugin generates html from xdocs, the Forrest plugin
would generate a site from Forrest docs.  As hinted to earlier, it can
easily integrate into any generated documentation we'd like to keep from
Maven.

> >To me, the key feature of Forrest is the first one listed, multiple
> >outputs.  This is especially useful for documentation as PDF is much
> >better than HTML for printing for the many users that like hard copies.
> >

> Maven does this.

Again, I didn't see a way to do more than just generate one PDF for the
whole site, but of course, I could be wrong.

> >Finally, Forrest content is built to be presented in not only multiple
> >output formats, but multiple skins.  To demonstrate this, I've quickly
> >redone the Struts site into Forrest format (which is very similiar to the
> >current format thanks to the xhtml work of late).  I've only converted the
> >menu and the main page, which should be sufficient.
> >

> We only need one look, though I don't like the default Maven look, but
> not enough bothering changing it.
> We may customize it but we won't be changing it dynamically.

I only included these links to show how output-independant Forrest was as
it was asked in an earlier discussion if Forrest docs had to look like the
Forrest website.

Forrest is built off of Cocoon, which IMO, is a mature, powerful, and
proven content publishing system.  I admit I don't know that much about
Maven, so perhaps it can provide some the features I see unique to
Forrest.  While I can't speak authoratively on Maven, I can say, in my
experience, Forrest is very easy to work with and very powerful.  Since
Cocoon is under the hood, I know it is built on a mature foundation and
can be extended to just about anything we'd want to do with it.

Don

Re: The Forrest Option

Posted by Robert Leland <rl...@apache.org>.
Don Brown wrote:

> [...]

>current format thanks to the xhtml work of late).  I've only converted the
>menu and the main page, which should be sufficient.

We only need one look, though I don't like the default Maven look, but
not enough bothering changing it.
We may customize it but we won't be changing it dynamically.

>Please note, this examples are not polished and only serve to demonstrate
>the skinability of Forrest.
>
>Krysalis style:           http://www.twdata.org/dakine/site/
>Avalon/Tigris style:      http://www.twdata.org/dakine/site1/
>Forrest/XML Apache style: http://www.twdata.org/dakine/site2/
>
>If we did decide to go with Forrest, I'm willing to convert the old site
>over and help handle any integration.  I'm most definately not an expert
>at Forrest, but am familiar with Cocoon and thankfully, Forrest is pretty

-Rob

Re: The Forrest Option

Posted by David Graham <gr...@yahoo.com>.
I haven't used Forrest but Maven was pretty darn easy to get going.  All I
had to do was download it and run "maven jar" or "maven site:generate".
It handled all of the dependencies by itself.

Assuming Forrest is as easy to use as Maven, I don't really care which we
use.  I do prefer to maintain a site L&F that is fairly consistent with
other Jakarta projects so the Avalon style linked below looks good.

David