Posted to users@flex.apache.org by mo...@comcast.net on 2014/02/12 16:37:08 UTC

Re: new Mac machine, running Flex application sticks at 57%

Still haven't resolved this... let me simplify the discussion. Instead of upgrading the OS as originally posted for this thread, I'm now using a new macbook OSX 10.9.1 machine with fresh install of FB 4.7, and SDK 4.12 (nightly build). However, it produces the same results...

When I run any program, it doesn't match which program (firefox, chrome), the progress panel shows "Launching Main (57%). Waiting to connect to the running application..." After 2 minutes it times out with a popup that states:

  The Flash Builder debugger failed to connect to the running application.
  Ensure that:
  1. For in-browser applications, you are running the debugger version of Flash Player.
  2. For network debugging on a mobile device, you have a reliable network connection to the device, and port 7935 is open on your machine's firewall.

For example, the following application gives the above error:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<!-- http://blog.flexexamples.com/2009/03/30/setting-the-base-color-on-an-fxcheckbox-control-in-flex-gumbo/ -->
<s:Application xmlns:fx="http://ns.adobe.com/mxml/2009"
   xmlns:mx="library://ns.adobe.com/flex/mx"  minWidth="955" minHeight="600">

<s:CheckBox id="checkBox"
	label="Spark CheckBox"
	selected="true"
	symbolColor="red"
	horizontalCenter="0"
	verticalCenter="0" />
</s:Application>

Things I've done to troubleshoot:

1. Verified debug version of Flash Player is installed.
2. Verified my "Adobe Flash Builder 4.ini" and "Adobe Flash Builder 4.7.ini" files contain switches -Xms512m, -Xmx1024m, -XX:MaxPermSize=1024m.
3. Verified Main.html and Main.swf files are in the bin-debug directory.
4. disabled automatic rebuilds
5. Note, there is no anti-virus installed
6. Note, there's no connection to SVN or other repository
7. cleaned project several times
8. rebooted machine several times

I *really* could use some help here. Where should I look next?

(as an aside, I contacted Abode to purchase an individual per incident contract support but after many hours on the phone being on hold and transferred in circles between sales and support for 2 days, it appears no one in Adobe knows where to route me or how I can purchase an individual support contract for Adobe Flex Platform. Would be interested if anyone knows of a direct line or contact.)

Thanks in advance.

Posted by simon gladman <sg...@gmail.com>.

--
*flexmonkey.co.uk <http://flexmonkey.co.uk> | @FlexMonkey
<https://twitter.com/FlexMonkey> | +44 (0) 7973 669691*

Re: new Mac machine, running Flex application sticks at 57%

Posted by mo...@comcast.net.
My /etc/hosts file already includes 127.0.0.1 as localhost. Thanks for the tip though. Here's the full file:

127.0.0.1 localhost
255.255.255.255 broadcasthost
::1 localhost
fe80::1%lo0 localhost

Sorry Mark, I see you provided a path in /etc/hosts below. I'll try that.

Thanks for the tip Mark, I've seen this posted on Google but never knew how to set it. Could you give a little more detail? Is this a setting in Flash Builder? Or is it a Mac OSX System Preferences setting?

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
HI,

> $ fdb
> -base: fdb: command not found
> $ run fdb
> -base: run: command not found

Looks like you don;t have "." in your path. Try this instead from the bin directory:
./fdb

Thanks,
Justin

Re: new Mac machine, running Flex application sticks at 57%

Posted by mo...@comcast.net.
I figured out the 57% sticking problem.

The new Macbook machine with a fresh download of Firefox, then installing FB 4.7 resulted in an incorrect file path to the Firefox executable in FB. To solve, I opened FB 4.7 > Preferences > General > Web Browser, and edited the Firefox entry's Location path to /Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/firefox. Now firefox runs fine, with both production and debug Flash Players.

However, this leaves Chrome and Safari not working, with perhaps a security violation (not sure). I'll open another thread to keep the issues separate...

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
From the Finder, if you click on the html file that was generated, does

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
OK, then type:
	break #5:kickOff

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
That implies that FDB is able to connect to the player.  Just to be sure,
instead of using 'q' to quit, do the following

1) break SystemManager.as:kickOff
2) c
3) c

In theory it should hit the breakpoint.

And if that's all working, it sounds like there is definitely something
blocking the socket connections.

Next step is to set up a debug launch config that runs your app in the
content debugger instead of the browser and see if that works.

-Alex

On 2/12/14 10:13 AM, "modjklist@comcast.net" <mo...@comcast.net> wrote:

>OK, I see the system doesn't respond to fdb, I need to type ./fdb
>instead...
>
>When I type r then load the swf file, the fdb response is:
>
>Waiting for Player to connect
>Player connected; session starting.
>Set breakpoints and then type 'continue' to resume the session.
>(fdb) q
>The program is running. Exit anyway? (y or n) y
>
>After I type y in the last line above, Flash Player Debugger opens a
>window with the application in it, where it appears the application has
>run (it's just a checkbox, centered in the window).
>
>I'm hoping that's a useful clue somehow.

Thanks so much Jake, if you scroll down in the thread below, I found that pinging to localhost works. Mavericks somehow already had 127.0.0.1 set as local host, so I didn't change anything there.

Posted by Jake Churchill <re...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
Let's try a different angle.