Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us> on 2012/05/12 02:59:22 UTC

Incubation next steps

Hi folks -

Thanks to Mohammad's work a most of the initial committers now have
accounts, and that gives us a some ability to start working on getting
things done.

I know we have a number of things which need to be done off the top of
my head including

* IP Clearance
* Cryptography notification
* Creating a website
* etc, etc, ad infinitum

Mentors: can you lay out for us some of the next steps that need to
happen from our perspective (especially things that we can work on.)
Obviously some things will require mentor involvement, and some will
require commit access. While I can't speak for anyone other than
myself, I think that as a group we are excited and want to start
moving forward - so please tell us what work we can do.

--David

Re: Incubation next steps

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
Hi David,

Sorry for the delay in replying to this.

On 12/05/2012, at 10:59 AM, David Nalley wrote:

> Hi folks -
>
> Thanks to Mohammad's work a most of the initial committers now have
> accounts, and that gives us a some ability to start working on getting
> things done.
>
> I know we have a number of things which need to be done off the top of
> my head including
>
> * IP Clearance
> * Cryptography notification
> * Creating a website
> * etc, etc, ad infinitum
>
> Mentors: can you lay out for us some of the next steps that need to
> happen from our perspective (especially things that we can work on.)
> Obviously some things will require mentor involvement, and some will
> require commit access. While I can't speak for anyone other than
> myself, I think that as a group we are excited and want to start
> moving forward - so please tell us what work we can do.

I think everything is on track, though it will obviously take some time to ramp up.

From the incubator perspective, the things that need doing are captured in the status file: http://incubator.apache.org/projects/cloudstack.html

I know you've already identified a list of resources to get migrated to the ASF and working through it, and obviously a lot of things can't happen until the code is signed off and loaded up.

Other than that, the discussions being had about releases and responsibilities (and how they fit within the Apache governance model) are good ones to have up front. I'd encourage someone drive those towards a conclusion in a way everyone agrees with.

The other thing to keep in mind is that another report is due in about a week - it might be good to start working on that collectively and capture some of the current status that way.

IMO it would be great if, by the third report before quarterly reporting kicks in, the podling feels like it has "fully arrived", and has assembled a list of things necessary to a) release, and b) graduate (even if they might require some time to achieve).

Cheers,
Brett

--
Brett Porter