Posted to xindice-users@xml.apache.org by Ferenc Pápai <fp...@gmail.com> on 2009/09/30 02:08:18 UTC

development status

hello XIndice team,

May I ask what is the development status of the project?
The last svn commit happened 5 month ago, contributors are less and less...

We used XIndice for the last 5 years. It served us pretty well, however we
started to have scalability issues lately due to large amount of data. I am
afraid that we might need to jump to another database if there won't be new
developments.

So far we use version 1.1 but found bugs in it that seems to be corrected in
1.2m1.
Would you recommend the use of 1.2m1 in production environment?

thanks for your time
Ferenc

[ANN]VTD-XML 2.7

Posted by jimmy Zhang <cr...@comcast.net>.
VTD-XML 2.7 (http://vtd-xml.sf.net) is released and can be downloaded at

http://sourceforge.net/projects/vtd-xml/files/.
Below is a summary of what are the new features and enhancements.

Expanded VTD-XML's Core API

  a.. VTDNav: toStringUpperCase, toStringLowerCase, contains(), endsWith(),
  startsWith()
  b.. Extended VTD added in-memory buffer support

Improved Xpath
  a.. Added the following XPath 2.0 functions: abs(), ends-with(),
upper-case(),  lower-case()
  b.. Added support for variable reference * significantly enhanced XPath
  syntax, checking error reporting (Special thanks to Mark Swanson)
  c.. Internal performance tuning Bug fixes and

Code Enhancement
  a.. C version significantly removed warning message, fix memory leak
during  Xpath expression parsing,
  b.. Various bug fies (Special thanks to Jon Roberts, John Zhu, Matej
Spiller,  Steve Polson, and Romain La Tellier)

Re: development status

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@reverycodes.com>.
On Sep 29, 2009, at 8:08 PM, Ferenc Pápai wrote:

> hello XIndice team,

Hi Ferenc,

That's "Xindice" - lowercase "i" ;-)

> May I ask what is the development status of the project?
> The last svn commit happened 5 month ago, contributors are less and
> less...
>
> We used XIndice for the last 5 years. It served us pretty well,
> however we started to have scalability issues lately due to large
> amount of data. I am afraid that we might need to jump to another
> database if there won't be new developments.

People come and people go, and development depends on desires and
needs of people like you and me. All people can contribute to any of
the Apache projects, and there are many ways to do it. Those who can
code can send patches to make improvements, and those who can not can
send bug reports or suggestions or help with testing.

Since you are seeing scalability issues, you are in a good position to
contribute something back to Xindice - you can get the latest Xindice
code from the SVN and see how your database runs there. There were few
modifications since the latest release which should make Xindice run
faster on larger databases. If you are still experiencing scalability
issues even with the latest version, then, depending on your
abilities, you can either develop a patch to the Xindice or help other
developers identify the problem and fix this performance issue.

> So far we use version 1.1 but found bugs in it that seems to be
> corrected in 1.2m1.
> Would you recommend the use of 1.2m1 in production environment?

It mostly depends on you. Personally, I would run trunk version of
Xindice, because it has several fixes on top of 1.2m1 release. If you
don't need these fixes, you can run 1.2m1. Of course, regardless of
what version you choose, you should test it before you put it in
production.

Regards,
Vadim