Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Dylan Tynan <ty...@cadence.com> on 2007/04/25 22:48:36 UTC

Are RHEL 3.0 & mod_perl 2.0.x compatible?

Hi folks,

Been a few years since I've worked on mod_perl & I could use a helping
hand.  Does anyone know if RHEL 3.0 and mod_perl 2.0.x (like 2.0.2) are
more or less compatible?  RHEL 3.0 ships with that semi-mutant 1.99
development track mod_perl ........   I tried upgrading (on an x86_64
arch) to 2.0.2 today and ran into endless numbers of dependencies ---
basically practically causing an upgrade to 4.0 piecemeal.  It started
with, oddly enough, an rpm dependency failure on perl(Carp::Heavy)
[yeah weird I thought].  Unfortunately, on x86_64 that doesn't seem to
be available until Perl 5.8.5 (yet 5.6 on the regular x32), then the
dependency trail just goes on forever with something needing something
else, etc.....     In looking around out there on the 'net, there was
very very little info about this combination (mod_perl2 & RHEL3), and
what was out there was mainly a few people w/problems.....

Anyone have any info on this combo?  I ended up pretty much whacking the
system (great way to start off back on mod_perl again, ugh!) so  I could
really really use an answer on this if anyone knows so I can pass it up
the chain before I end up doing something else stupid trying to make it
work, heh....

Thanks!
Dylan

RE: Are RHEL 3.0 & mod_perl 2.0.x compatible?

Posted by Dylan Tynan <ty...@cadence.com>.
Ok, point taken .... I'll give her a go and see what happens.  Thanks
guys....

Posted by Carl Johnstone <mo...@fadetoblack.me.uk>.

Posted by Jonathan Vanasco <jv...@2xlp.com>.
On Apr 25, 2007, at 4:48 PM, Dylan Tynan wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> Been a few years since I've worked on mod_perl & I could use a
> helping hand.  Does anyone know if RHEL 3.0 and mod_perl 2.0.x
> (like 2.0.2) are more or less compatible?  RHEL 3.0 ships with that
> semi-mutant 1.99 development track mod_perl ........   I tried
> upgrading (on an x86_64 arch) to 2.0.2 today and ran into endless
> numbers of dependencies --- basically practically causing an
> upgrade to 4.0 piecemeal.  It started with, oddly enough, an rpm
> dependency failure on perl(Carp::Heavy)  [yeah weird I thought].
> Unfortunately, on x86_64 that doesn't seem to be available until
> Perl 5.8.5 (yet 5.6 on the regular x32), then the dependency trail
> just goes on forever with something needing something else,
> etc.....     In looking around out there on the 'net, there was
> very very little info about this combination (mod_perl2 & RHEL3),
> and what was out there was mainly a few people w/problems.....
>
> Anyone have any info on this combo?  I ended up pretty much
> whacking the system (great way to start off back on mod_perl again,
> ugh!) so  I could really really use an answer on this if anyone
> knows so I can pass it up the chain before I end up doing something
> else stupid trying to make it work, heh....

first:
	what version of perl are you running ?  i'd upgrade perl to the
latest available.  i think there were some eval issues in 5.81 or so
that caused memory leaks which are very apparent in persistant
environments like modperl