Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by "John D. Ament" <jo...@gmail.com> on 2019/10/04 03:47:39 UTC

Podlings & IP Clearance

The recent vote from Weex [1] made me think about the IP Clearance
process.  Per [2], podlings should not follow this process and instead are
directed to look at [3].  HOwever in reading [3] I can't find any direction
for podlings who are receiving new code donations.

So what should podlings actually do when they receive an additional
donation?

John

[1]:
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/2e29ee2ead47c9242e0ae8b40b67a254a98cac0e5a9fdfb8ab089e28@%3Cgeneral.incubator.apache.org%3E
[2]: http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/
[3]: http://incubator.apache.org/guides/mentor.html

Re: Podlings & IP Clearance

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com.INVALID>.
IIRC, the main thing that matters is that all incoming code that was developed outside the ASF gets cleared.  For podlings, there is frequently one big code donation that eventually gets turned into a release.  The podling gets to put the code in a repo and then clear it.  I believe that's mainly to help get the community going with the least delay.  Podlings often do that one release and then graduate to TLP.

But once you have clean code in your repo, before you mix a bunch of other code into it, it is advised to clear it before mixing that code.  The IP Clearance process is the main way to do that and the Incubator is the central log of these big donations being cleared.

I don't think Weex had to go through IP Clearance if the mentors felt they could inspect and clear the code, but it doesn't hurt to ask for more eyes on it.

At least, that's how I remember it from my podling days.  Flex received several donations before and after graduation.

My 2 cents,
-Alex

On 10/4/19, 12:36 AM, "申远" <sh...@gmail.com> wrote:

    Hi

    As a PPMC member of Weex, I didn’t find any documentation about the IP
    clearance process for Podlling project, so I just followed what other PPMC
    did after asking in this mailing list [4]. I am Ok to do it in another way
    if it’s written in the documentation clearly.

    IMO, the problem here is that we don’t have an IP clearance process for
    podllings, so podllings have no other way but follow the standard IP
    process of TLP project.

    [4]
    https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fmail-archives.apache.org%2Fmod_mbox%2Fincubator-general%2F201909.mbox%2F%253cDAEE7CD2-C05A-4A09-867C-37F1C1B19DF8%40classsoftware.com%253e&amp;data=02%7C01%7Caharui%40adobe.com%7Cb9f970fbe1274b9a4d5608d7489da1b4%7Cfa7b1b5a7b34438794aed2c178decee1%7C0%7C0%7C637057714181342086&amp;sdata=Ak%2BXNWhu2ltjgGm7vksfmzyyxcbWHhwHNyUnuv8FjB4%3D&amp;reserved=0

    Dave Fisher <wa...@apache.org>于2019年10月4日 周五13:18写道:

    > Hi -
    >
    > > On Oct 3, 2019, at 9:12 PM, Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>
    > wrote:
    > >
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > >> The recent vote from Weex [1] made me think about the IP Clearance
    > >> process.  Per [2], podlings should not follow this process and instead
    > are
    > >> directed to look at [3].
    > >
    > > I always assumed that that was advised about the initial codebase and
    > don’t see an issue with following [2] past that. It certainly could be made
    > clearer.
    >
    > I’ve always considered it to be the mentor’s job to assure IP was
    > considered for podlings donations.
    >
    > A greybeard told me recently that the board added IP clearance to the IPMC
    > for TLPs
    >
    > Regards,
    > Dave
    >

    > > Thanks,
    > > Justin

    Best Regards
    York Shen
    申远

Re: Podlings & IP Clearance

Posted by 申远 <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi

https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/201909.mbox/%3cDAEE7CD2-C05A-4A09-867C-37F1C1B19DF8@classsoftware.com%3e

Dave Fisher <wa...@apache.org>于2019年10月4日 周五13:18写道:

> Hi -
>
> > On Oct 3, 2019, at 9:12 PM, Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> >> The recent vote from Weex [1] made me think about the IP Clearance
> >> process.  Per [2], podlings should not follow this process and instead
> are
> >> directed to look at [3].
> >
> > I always assumed that that was advised about the initial codebase and
> don’t see an issue with following [2] past that. It certainly could be made
> clearer.
>
> I’ve always considered it to be the mentor’s job to assure IP was
> considered for podlings donations.
>
> A greybeard told me recently that the board added IP clearance to the IPMC
> for TLPs
>
> Regards,
> Dave
>

> > Thanks,