Posted to user@aries.apache.org by Alexandros Karypidis <ak...@yahoo.gr> on 2010/08/09 19:23:05 UTC

Generation of config.ini

Hi,

I've just built the svn trunk
(http://incubator.apache.org/aries/buildingaries.html)
and am trying the hello word
(http://incubator.apache.org/aries/blueprinthelloworldtutorial.html).

Got some issues with the example. I'm not familiar with the magic that
is used to generate the "config.ini" file for Equinox, but `Maven
currently generates the following (incorrect) file:

osgi.bundles=\
org.apache.aries.samples.helloworld.blueprint.api-0.2-incubating-SNAPSHOT.jar@1,\
org.apache.aries.samples.helloworld.blueprint.server-0.2-incubating-SNAPSHOT.jar@1,\
org.apache.aries.samples.helloworld.blueprint.client-0.2-incubating-SNAPSHOT.jar@1
eclipse.ignoreApp=true
org.ops4j.pax.logging.DefaultServiceLog.level=DEBUG

In order to run the example, I need modify the file to switch the order
of the "helloword" and "blueprint" words:

org.apache.aries.samples -- .blueprint.helloworld. --
api-0.2-incubating-SNAPSHOT.jar@1,\
org.apache.aries.samples -- .blueprint.helloworld. --
server-0.2-incubating-SNAPSHOT.jar@1,\
org.apache.aries.samples -- .blueprint.helloworld. --
client-0.2-incubating-SNAPSHOT.jar@1

What wizardry of the build system is responsible for the generation of
config.ini and how can I fix this? I'm somewhat familiar with Maven, but
the "bundle" packaging and its OSGi-plugins are totally new to me.

Re: Generation of config.ini

Posted by Alexandros Karypidis <ak...@yahoo.gr>.
Hello,

Regarding (1), I've just made a clean installation of the following on
my system (WinXP, 32bit):

D:\aries\trunk>mvn -version
Apache Maven 2.2.1 (r801777; 2009-08-06 22:16:01+0300)
Java version: 1.6.0_21
Java home: D:\aries\jdk1.6.0_21\jre
Default locale: el_GR, platform encoding: Cp1253
OS name: "windows xp" version: "5.1" arch: "x86" Family: "windows"

Everything is vanilla. My settings.xml simply moves the local maven
repository to a top-level path (windows doesn't cope well with long paths):

D:\aries\trunk>type "c:\Documents and Settings\AKARYPID\.m2\settings.xml"
<settings xmlns="http://maven.apache.org/SETTINGS/1.0.0"
xsi:schemaLocation="http://maven.apache.org/SETTINGS/1.0.0
http://maven.apache.org/xsd/settings-1.0.0.xsd">
<localRepository>D:\m2repo</localRepository>
</settings>

I deleted my local reposioty (d:\m2repo), to download fresh copies of
everything. I ended up using version 2.8 of the maven eclipse plugin:

D:\aries\trunk>dir d:\m2repo\org\apache\maven\plugins\maven-eclipse-plugin
11/08/2010 08:53 μμ <DIR> .
11/08/2010 08:53 μμ <DIR> ..
11/08/2010 08:53 μμ <DIR> 2.8
11/08/2010 08:52 μμ 680 maven-metadata-central.xml
11/08/2010 08:52 μμ 40 maven-metadata-central.xml.sha1

Still, even though eclipse generation comes back with SUCCESS for
everything, I do not get a .project/.classpath file for it. I also check
other XXX-assembly projects and it happens for all of them:

[INFO]
[INFO] Building Apache Aries Blueprint Sample - ID Verifier Assembly
[INFO] task-segment: [eclipse:eclipse]
[INFO]
[INFO] Preparing eclipse:eclipse
[INFO] [enforcer:enforce {execution: default}]
[INFO] [antrun:run {execution: create-prop}]
[INFO] Executing tasks
[echo] Maven version: 0.3-incubating-SNAPSHOT
[echo] OSGi version: 0.3.0.incubating-SNAPSHOT
[INFO] Executed tasks
[INFO] [properties:read-project-properties {execution: default}]
[INFO] [remote-resources:process {execution: default}]
[INFO] [resources:resources {execution: filter}]
[INFO] Using 'UTF-8' encoding to copy filtered resources.
[INFO] Copying 2 resources
[INFO] Copying 1 resource
[INFO] Copying 4 resources
[INFO] [eclipse:eclipse {execution: default-cli}]
[INFO] Not running eclipse plugin goal for pom project
[INFO] Using Eclipse Workspace: null
[INFO] Adding default classpath container:
org.eclipse.jdt.launching.JRE_CONTAINER
[INFO]
[INFO] Building Apache Aries
[INFO] task-segment: [eclipse:eclipse]
[INFO]
[INFO] Preparing eclipse:eclipse
[INFO] Setting property: classpath.resource.loader.class =>
'org.codehaus.plexus.velocity.ContextClassLoaderResourceLoader'.
[INFO] Setting property: velocimacro.messages.on => 'false'.
[INFO] Setting property: resource.loader => 'classpath'.
[INFO] Setting property: resource.manager.logwhenfound => 'false'.
[INFO] [remote-resources:process {execution: default}]
[INFO] inceptionYear not specified, defaulting to 2010
[INFO] [eclipse:eclipse {execution: default-cli}]
[INFO] Not running eclipse plugin goal for pom project
[INFO] Using Eclipse Workspace: null
[INFO] Adding default classpath container:
org.eclipse.jdt.launching.JRE_CONTAINER

And yet:

D:\aries\trunk>dir samples\blueprint\idverifier\idverifier-assembly
11/08/2010 08:51 μμ <DIR> .
11/08/2010 08:51 μμ <DIR> ..
11/08/2010 07:31 μμ 4.534 pom.xml
11/08/2010 07:31 μμ <DIR> src
11/08/2010 08:51 μμ <DIR> target

There's something weird going on with these.

Re: Generation of config.ini

Posted by Bartosz Kowalewski <ko...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Using packaging 'pom' for assemblies is a standard practice. There's
no artifact that the assembly project produces and that would need to
be uploaded to the Maven repo. Only pom file is copied there. The
packaging should be left as it is.
The problem is caused by the Maven Eclipse plugin. Some time ago I saw
a bug report at Codehaus Jira that addresses this issue. It's really
old, but it hasn't been resolved yet. In short, Maven Eclipse plugin
always ignores projects with packaging 'pom' while it could generate
simple Eclipse projects (without any natures) at least for pom
projects that do not contain any subprojects (modules). Assembly
projects used in Aries samples fall into this category.

The workaround described by Zoe is probably the simplest one possible.

Best regards,
  Bartek

Re: Generation of config.ini

Posted by zoe slattery <zo...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Alexandros

> [...]

>>> [INFO] [remote-resources:process {execution: default}]
>>> [INFO] [resources:resources {execution: filter}]
>>> [INFO] Using 'UTF-8' encoding to copy filtered resources.
>>> [INFO] Copying 0 resource
>>> [INFO] Copying 1 resource
>>> [INFO] Copying 4 resources
>>> [INFO] [eclipse:eclipse {execution: default-cli}]
>>> [INFO] Not running eclipse plugin goal for pom project
>>> [INFO] Using Eclipse Workspace: C:\Users\karypid\projects\aries_ws
>>> [INFO] no substring wtp server match.
>>> [INFO] Using as WTP server : SpringSource Cloud Foundry (Runtime) v1.0
>>> [INFO] Adding default classpath container:
>>> org.eclipse.jdt.launching.JRE_CONTAINER/org.eclipse.jdt.internal.debug.ui.launcher.StandardVMType/J2SE-1.5
>>>

>>> However, no ".project" file is created:

>>>  Directory of
>>> C:\Users\karypid\projects\aries\trunk\samples\blueprint\helloworld\helloworld-assembly

>>> 09/08/2010  20:19 <DIR>          ..
>>> 09/08/2010  18:08             5.531 pom.xml
>>> 09/08/2010  18:08 <DIR>          src

Re: Generation of config.ini

Posted by Alexandros Karypidis <ak...@yahoo.gr>.

Re: Generation of config.ini

Posted by zoe slattery <zo...@googlemail.com>.