Posted to user@manifoldcf.apache.org by "Hotchkiss, David" <dh...@iso-ne.com> on 2017/10/26 21:06:10 UTC

PostgresSQL and DB Superuser

Hello Everyone,

When using the Quick-start single process model: After the System
Database has been initialized, is it possible to run without a valid
"dbsuperusername" and "dbsuperuserpassword" when configured for
PostgreSQL?

In effect, we'd like to bypass the call to
ManifoldCF.createSystemDatabase(...) once the database has been created.

If not, does the Single-process deployable war model make it possible to
run without "dbsuperusername/password"?

Thanks,

  //david

RE: [EXT] Re: PostgresSQL and DB Superuser

Posted by "Hotchkiss, David" <dh...@iso-ne.com>.
Hi Karl,

Thank-you for the suggestion. We will see how it works to limit the "dbsuperuser" account access during normal operations.

Our present use-case is very small scale and does not depend on connectors that require the multi-process model.  So, I am looking for ways to reduce the overhead on our support team when we deploy to production.  As long as there are no other reasons to avoid it, the single-process model seemed to be the right fit.

Thanks,

  //david

*** EXTERNAL email. Please be cautious and evaluate before you click on links, open attachments, or provide credentials. ***

Hi David,

If you are running in multiprocess mode, database initialization is a separate step.  Once the database initialization step has been done, it's no longer necessary for the "superuser" to have superuser powers.  However, when you upgrade, you will need to remember to give that user back superuser powers, or the upgrade will fail.

For single-process, though, it's a different story; the database initialization/upgrade happens on every start.  So there's no way to get around needing a superuser involved in that case.  You can maybe play with reducing permissions so that that user has only read permissions; unless there is an actual need for an upgrade step that might be sufficient.

Thanks,
Karl

Posted by Karl Wright <da...@gmail.com>.
Hi David,