Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by dann frazier <da...@hp.com> on 2007/02/12 20:41:21 UTC

svn-load 0.3

On Thu, Feb 08, 2007 at 01:39:01AM -0800, Karl Fogel wrote:
> dann frazier <da...@hp.com> writes:
> >  I requested and got approved for either GPL or Apache-BSD style. This
> > initial version is GPL because that's what I typically default to, but
> > if your preference is Apache/BSD-style, I can do that too.
>
> Oh, it's more project preference than my personal preference.
> Actually, for a script like this, the modern BSD license is probably
> best, since it's short, easily comprehended, and GPL-compatible.

Here's a new version w/ the BSD license:
  http://free.linux.hp.com/~dannf/svn-load/svn-load-0.3.tar.gz

Functional changes include:
 * Re-enabled an optimization that avoids recursing down newly
   added subtrees, since they are already added in a batch
   (Thanks to John Wright)
 * Add --no-prompt option for non-interactive execution
 * Add --wc option to use an existing working directory and bpass
   the checkout step
 * Don't checkout/remove the working dir for each import directory,
   re-use it
 * Use a commit message that resembles svn_load_dirs instead of the
   informationless "commit" text
 * Sanitize user provided directories, fixing a couple parsing bugs

fyi, my current plan is to upload this to Debian as a separate package
(could be merged into subversion later). If there's enough time, I may
ask the release managers to accept it into the upcoming 'etch'
release. That does make me somewhat nervous since, afaik, I'm the only
one who has done much testing with it - any reports (success and
failure) are very much welcome.

Re: svn-load 0.3

Posted by "Wesley J. Landaker" <wj...@icecavern.net>.
On Saturday 21 April 2007 21:01, Karl Fogel wrote:
> "Wesley J. Landaker" <wj...@icecavern.net> writes:
> > On Monday 12 February 2007 13:41, dann frazier wrote:
> >> fyi, my current plan is to upload this to Debian as a separate package
> >> (could be merged into subversion later). If there's enough time, I may
> >> ask the release managers to accept it into the upcoming 'etch'
> >> release. That does make me somewhat nervous since, afaik, I'm the only
> >> one who has done much testing with it - any reports (success and
> >> failure) are very much welcome.
> >
> > The maintainers of svn-buildpackage (a set of programs used to make
> > maintaining Debian packages using Subversion easier) wrote a very
> > simple replacement for svn_load_dirs already; you might want to
> > collaborate with them.
>
> Dann, did you ever contact them?  What's the current state of the onion?

FWIW, I know that the svn-buildpackage has had a replacement that works well
enough for its intended purpose for some time now--I've been using it
constantly for maintaining my Debian packages. I don't know if how it
compares with other svn_load_dirs functionality, however.

--
Wesley J. Landaker <wj...@icecavern.net> <xm...@icecavern.net>

Re: svn-load 0.3

Posted by dann frazier <da...@hp.com>.
On Sat, Apr 21, 2007 at 08:01:47PM -0700, Karl Fogel wrote:
> "Wesley J. Landaker" <wj...@icecavern.net> writes:
> > On Monday 12 February 2007 13:41, dann frazier wrote:
> >> fyi, my current plan is to upload this to Debian as a separate package
> >> (could be merged into subversion later). If there's enough time, I may
> >> ask the release managers to accept it into the upcoming 'etch'
> >> release. That does make me somewhat nervous since, afaik, I'm the only
> >> one who has done much testing with it - any reports (success and
> >> failure) are very much welcome.
> >
> > The maintainers of svn-buildpackage (a set of programs used to make
> > maintaining Debian packages using Subversion easier) wrote a very simple
> > replacement for svn_load_dirs already; you might want to collaborate with
> > them.
>
> Dann, did you ever contact them?  What's the current state of the onion?

No, I haven't heard back. For what its worth, I see a number of
debianisms in the svn-buildpackage tool (known as svn-inject), though
that's to be expected given the purpose of svn-buildpackage.

I also don't think its intended to be as general purpose as svn-load.

Note that there is also another potential contender known as vcs-load-dirs:
  http://software.complete.org/vcs-load-dirs

It supports multiple revision control systems. Though the description
says it was "in response to Subversion's svn_load_dirs", svn is not
listed as one of the supported vcs systems (though svk is).

--
dann frazier | HP Open Source and Linux Organization

Re: svn-load 0.3

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@red-bean.com>.
"Wesley J. Landaker" <wj...@icecavern.net> writes:
> On Monday 12 February 2007 13:41, dann frazier wrote:
>> fyi, my current plan is to upload this to Debian as a separate package
>> (could be merged into subversion later). If there's enough time, I may
>> ask the release managers to accept it into the upcoming 'etch'
>> release. That does make me somewhat nervous since, afaik, I'm the only
>> one who has done much testing with it - any reports (success and
>> failure) are very much welcome.
>
> The maintainers of svn-buildpackage (a set of programs used to make
> maintaining Debian packages using Subversion easier) wrote a very simple
> replacement for svn_load_dirs already; you might want to collaborate with
> them.

Dann, did you ever contact them?  What's the current state of the onion?

-Karl

Re: svn-load 0.3

Posted by "Wesley J. Landaker" <wj...@icecavern.net>.