Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by BugRat Mail System <to...@cortexity.com> on 2000/09/03 00:31:17 UTC

BugRat Report #66 has been filed.

Bug report #66 has just been filed.

   <http://znutar.cortexity.com:8888/BugRatViewer/ShowReport/66>

REPORT #66 Details.

Project: Jasper
Category: Bug Report
SubCategory: New Bug Report
Class: swbug
State: received
Severity: serious
Confidence: public
Environment:
   Release: 3.1 ???
   JVM Release: 1.1.8
   Operating System: Solaris
   OS Release: Son OS 5.6
   Platform: Sun

Synopsis:
Get Unable to compile class for JSPerror: Can't read: JasperException compiling SECOND jsp page

Hello,

I am not sure if this is a bug or a problem with my configuration.

I can only produce this problem on our Production sun servers. It does not happen on our
Win NT testing servers.
The problem is, that I get the following exception when compiling the SECOND
JSP page after starting tomcat.
When I start tomcat, it will successfully compile 1 page. But, then it will
not compile any more pages. The only workaround that I have found
is to stop tomcat & restart it, access/compile a single page, then stop & restart again.
After pushing a major release to our site, this is quite tedious & problemmatiec.
Especially since I use numerous Context-Paths to point at the same JSP files.
(That is my strategy for branding sites for different partners...)

the error is

Internal Servlet Error:

org.apache.jasper.JasperException: Unable to compile class for JSPerror: Can't read: /home/customers/talisman/tomcat/work/www.talismanapplications.com_8080%2Fquios/_0002fmsgops_0002ejspmsgops_jsp_0.java
1 error

        at java.lang.Throwable.(Compiled Code)
        at java.lang.Exception.(Compiled Code)
        at javax.servlet.ServletException.(Compiled Code)
        at org.apache.jasper.JasperException.(Compiled Code)
        at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiled Code)
        at org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspServlet.loadJSP(Compiled Code)
        at org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspServlet$JspServletWrapper.loadIfNecessary(Compiled Code)
        at org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspServlet$JspServletWrapper.service(Compiled Code)
        at org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(Compiled Code)
        at org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspServlet.service(Compiled Code)
        at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(Compiled Code)
        at org.apache.tomcat.core.ServletWrapper.handleRequest(Compiled Code)
        at org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.service(Compiled Code)
        at org.apache.tomcat.service.connector.Ajp12ConnectionHandler.processConnection(Compiled Code)
        at org.apache.tomcat.service.TcpConnectionThread.run(Compiled Code)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Compiled Code)

Jasper is complaining that it cannot read the file. I can go to that directory under tomcat/work.
I do see the file that the compiler is complaining about the permissions are 664, so read access to the
file is not an issue. Also, the related work directory (based upon the context path) is 775 permissions.

Any clues would be greatly appreciated.

THANKS

Re: BugRat Report #66 has been filed.

Posted by Hans Bergsten <ha...@gefionsoftware.com>.
BugRat Mail System wrote:
> [...]
> Synopsis:
> Get Unable to compile class for JSPerror: Can't read: JasperException
> compiling SECOND jsp page
> [...]
> org.apache.jasper.JasperException: Unable to compile class for
> JSPerror: Can't read: /home/customers/talisman/tomcat/work/[...]
>
> Jasper is complaining that it cannot read the file. I can go to that
> directory under tomcat/work. I do see the file that the compiler is
> complaining about the permissions are 664, so read access to the
> file is not an issue. Also, the related work directory (based upon the
> context path) is 775 permissions.
>
> Any clues would be greatly appreciated.

Could it be that you run up against the limit for open files? I have run
into weird problems numerous times on Solaris due to its low default
value (64 I believe). Try increasing it with the "ulimit -n" command.

Hans
--
Hans Bergsten		hans@gefionsoftware.com