Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Simon Lorenz <si...@lorenz-immobilien.net> on 2009/06/17 08:52:32 UTC

hadoop-streaming for network simulation

Hi,

maybe somebody could help me with this.

What I want to do is using Hadoop Streaming for just executing the same
program with different parameters.

I'm using the network simulatioin software Omnet++ and I want to run
this simulation in parallel.

Omnet Programs can be executed from a linux shell, the just need an
omnetpp.ini file for configuration.
So first step for me is, to get omnet running on hadoop with a simple
example and the same parameters.

So which hadoop-paramters I have to use when I start Hadoop Streaming?
(I think hadoop streaming is the right way to do this, or not?)

Acutally I try something like this, but the streaming job fails.

bin/hadoop jar hadoop-0.18.3-streaming.jar
-input /input/fifo
-output /output/fifo
-mapper "/home/simon/omnetpp-4.0/samples/fifo/fifo -u Cmdenv -c Fifo1"
-file /home/simon/omnetpp-4.0/samples/fifo/fifo
-reducer NONE

So the omnet program is just the mapper.

- in /input/fifo is the omnetpp.ini file located, that omnet fifo
example needs to run the job.

fifo -u Cmdenv -c Fifo1 are the parameters to start omnet without the
graphic interface. But also when I put these parameters into a shell
srcipt and run the script with hadoop I get the same error.

The omnet program is installed on all machines.

Maybe I have to give the omnet.ini file in some other way to the
omnet-fifo program? I don't know.

I'm no programmer and I even don't know if this approuch goes into the
right direction.
For any hints or suggestions I would be very glad.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english

Simon Lorenz
Karlsruhe
Germany