Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> on 2013/03/01 00:40:41 UTC

Re: Questions

On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 4:42 PM,  <wa...@aol.com> wrote:

> Before I upload your Open oFFICE.
>
> A. Do I get lots of marketing/advertising popups or other stuff ?

If you download from http://www.openoffice.org/download then you will
be OK.  But be careful about downloading from other websites, since
some of them do bundle adware with the installs.  I wrote a blog post
on this issue a while back:

https://blogs.apache.org/OOo/entry/how_to_safely_download_apache

> B. Will it cause trouble to my current microsoft loaded system or is it compatible?

Apache OpenOffice can coexist on the same machine as Microsoft Office.
 But if you run in this configuration you should know that only one
application can be the default handler for the doc, xls and ppt file
extensions.  So you'll need to decide which app, MS Office or
OpenOffice you want to open these files when you double-click on a
document on the desktop.   Watch for this question during the
OpenOffice install.

Note:  if you change your mind you can always right click on the file
and choose "Open with..."

> C. Do I have to delete or do something to get rid of Microsoft in my system?

The OpenOffice install does not touch your MS Office files.  If you
want to uninstall MS Office then you will need to do that through
normal means, via the Control Panel.

Regards,

-Rob