Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by David E Jones <de...@me.com> on 2010/01/13 07:07:57 UTC

Screen Widget screenlet and the hard coded br class="clear"

I am looking into an issue with formatting using a CSS-based multiple column layout and with screenlets in each column.

The problem is that in the htmlScreenMacroLibrary.ftl file there is a hard-coded clear on line 148:

With most browsers these clears are no context-sensitive, they clear ALL floats. This means that it messes up the multi-column formatting.

Would anyone be too disappointed if we removed this, and if you need a clear below your screenlet then just use a container element after the screenlet element in your screen definition?

Also, does anyone know the reason this was put there in the first place?

Can anyone think of any issues removing this might cause?

-David

Re: Screen Widget screenlet and the hard coded br class="clear"

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@yahoo.com>.
Something to think about - and this is beyond the scope of your question - is that someday we will need to change how screen widgets are rendered.

Right now model widgets are rendered directly to an output stream. It would be preferable to have the model widgets rendered to an intermediate Java structure that is passed to a layout manager. The layout manager makes the kind of decisions discussed here (and in other threads) then it outputs the markup to the output stream.

-Adrian

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by David E Jones <de...@me.com>.

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@hlmksw.com>.
Please don't apologize for chiming in - we need everyone to participate
in the discussion.

Maybe you could create a list of suggestions and the rest of the
community can work on implementing them.

-Adrian

Posted by Ryan Foster <ry...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by David E Jones <de...@me.com>.
The point isn't to accommodate multi-column layouts, we already have basic stuff for that which works just fine. I'm not talking about anything like dragging columns or configuring sizes or anything like that. It's an interesting idea, but a different one.

The question I have is do we really want this <br class="clear"/> tag always inserted when you use the screen widget screenlet element?

Right now there is a bit of a "hack" in place to cause this tag to do nothing, and that is by wrapping the screenlet in a container with a style of "no-clear".

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@yahoo.com>.