Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Lin Sun <li...@gmail.com> on 2008/08/12 20:49:00 UTC

can we use classifier here?

Hi,

I need some advice to see if we could use classifier to solve a prob
we have in Apache Geronimo.

We want to deploy our J2EE sample (called daytrader) onto geronimo as
a geronimo plugin.   The daytrader application contains multiple
modules(one web module, one ejb module, 2 app clients module), as most
of EAR projects do.    The daytrader geronimo plugin is built using
the car-maven-plugin that is developed at Geronimo.    Basically, what
the car-maven-plugin does is to generate the plugin metadata file,
deploy the daytrader module using geronimo's deployers, package all
the files into a plugin car file and install the car file into the
maven repository.     The plugin has one artifact id, called
daytrader.

Soon, we found out there is a prob here.  If there is only one
artifact id, how can we start the app clients of daytrader?   Each app
client needs his own artifact id.   We have only one maven project
(which is daytrader here) but we really need 3 artifact ids.

I am wondering if it is possible to use classifier here.   Instead of
producing 1 artifact here, we produce the following artifacts, for the
daytrader project:

daytrader-2.2.-snapshot.car
daytrader-2.2-snapshot-appclient1.car
daytrader-2.2-snapshot-appclient2.car

Thoughts?

Lin

Re: can we use classifier here?

Posted by Lin Sun <li...@gmail.com>.
Hi Andres,

Thanks for your valuable feedback again.  You are right that i didn't
differentiate the geronimo plugin and maven plugin well in my reply.
I think you translated my intention well tho :-)

We have a car maven plugin that is developed at geronimo (David Jencks
did most of, if not all the work).   We expect users to use the car
maven plugin to generate geronimo plugins.   It is clearly we need to
generate 3 artifacts (one for the main app, two for the two app
clients).    We agree that using classifier seems a better solution
than asking users to run our car maven plugin 3 times to generate 3
artifacts.

Lin

Posted by Anders Hammar <an...@hammar.net>.

Posted by Lin Sun <li...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Anders Hammar <an...@hammar.net>.

Posted by Lin Sun <li...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Anders Hammar <an...@hammar.net>.
Hi,

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Kathryn Huxtable <ka...@kathrynhuxtable.org>.

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by "Brian E. Fox" <br...@reply.infinity.nu>.
The classifier is meant for things like sources, javadocs, assemblies etc.
What you¹re doing really should have separate artifacts, however if
classifier does what you want, go for it. Just remember you¹re slightly

Posted by Lin Sun <li...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.