Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by "Yu, Ed" <ek...@asg.sc.edu> on 2005/02/24 20:03:23 UTC

Rich client

Hi all,

Just got a message from another list, Laszlo is now open source
(http://www.laszlosystems.com/ <http://www.laszlosystems.com/> ). Ready to
roll up your sleeves to integrate?

Tapestry Palette update

Posted by Michael Henderson <mh...@mac.com>.
Hi,
    I have updated the palette plugin to work with Spindle versions
greater than 3.1.15 and Tapestry 3.0.2 the new version 0.0.1 can be
downloaded from within Eclipse from:

	http://tapestrypalette.mjhenderson.com/unstable

If you need to download and install locally you can use the same URL in
a web browser to reach a download link (not in Safari on OSX it does
not like the Javascript, try Firefox instead)

I've tested on Linux and WinXP only but drag and drop is working.

Mike

Re: Rich client

Posted by Jonny Wray <jo...@yahoo.com>.
Dynamically generating graphics is not the problem, as I mentioned.
It's having them interactive. eg clicking on a bar in a bar chart
changes the values in a property table.

Good to hear they are working on a drawing api. I'll keep my eye on it.

Re: Rich client

Posted by Bernard Sirius <be...@yahoo.com>.

Re: Rich client

Laszlo - things to consider

Posted by Konstantin Iignatyev <kg...@yahoo.com>.
>>Maybe, but this is not laszlo's fault... try opening as many JVM's... and... laszo is not flash.
Laszlo is flash on client as far as I am concerned.

Of course that is not Laszlo fault, but all applets run within one JVM.

 >> Your typical laszlo app will be between 1 and 2 megs uncompressed;

No, my application simply cannot be all flash. I need active COMPONENTS
because majority of the staff can and should be handled by
browser/html/dummy-flash etc.
In the instant we have possibility of multiple downloads of the same
flash movie as we navigate between pages back and forth.

Bernard Sirius wrote:

> [...]
>uncompressed; with deflate on, divide this by 4.
>My ADSL line gives me 350Kb/sec, at least. We're
>talking 1 to 3 seconds download time, here.
>And if there's one thing for sure: bandwidth will
>continue to grow.
>

>>- unclear caching schema if any;
>>- Unclear security model;
>>

>http://www.laszlosystems.com/lps-2.2/docs/guide/architecture.html
>

>>- huge demand for server side resources, tried to
>>have dedicated Laszlo
>>compilation server and just let components talk to
>>'client' servers but
>>could not get it done;
>>

>Agreed. However, the version 3 of LPS will feature
>serverless deployment.
>

>>- development cycle is not that convenient IMO;
>>- having multiple documents with flashes open in
>>multiple windows and
>>they brought my 3.3G/1GB  laptop to the knees  (
>>server worked on Linux
>>box) - probably one FVM( Flash Virtual Machine) per
>>component is too much;
>>

>Maybe, but this is not laszlo's fault... try opening
>as many JVM's... and... laszo is not flash.
>

>>Share your frustration, but IMO Applets would work
>>much better for
>>everybody with a little work from Sun:
>>- have shared standard repository of libraries to
>>prevent every applet
>>to download own  log4j, jakarta-commons etc.;
>>- real integration with Java Web Start for
>>predictable and precise caching;
>>- chunked JVM autoinstall; Installation could be no
>>harder than FlashPlayer;
>>

>maybe, maybe, maybe. but flash is here now,
>everybody's got it on their browser, and they don't
>even know it.
>
>And before I continue, let me emphasize that *laszlo
>is not flash*. This debate is important for now,
>that's for sure, but laszlo plans to integrate with
>all kinds of technology, not the least interesting
>being, simply... DHTML. But they're evaluating the JVM
>too. A very natural target for them being of course
>XAML/avalon.
>

>>- somehow I do not trust Macromedia to create high
>>quality FVM for
>>client side, even they would be able to do it, I bet
>>it will be pretty
>>the same as JVM, why reinvent?.
>>

>no no it's not the same thing. flash is not a virtual
>machine, it's a runtime, and a very effective piece of
>software, albeit not perfect. It's much easier to
>focus on a scripting runtime with an efficient
>graphics engine, than to write a JVM, IMHO.
>
>hey I don't want to be controversial or make anyone
>nervous here. I just want to stress the elements that
>IMO will make RIA *in general* thrive:
>
>- rich graphic possibilities: flash
>- ubiquity: floash
>- ease of development: no (visible) compilation step;
>scripting and xml everywhere
>
>I don't think that java is inherently inadequate for
>RIA development. Only laszlo+flash is a winning
>combination right now. And java is still a no-match on

Konstantin Ignatyev

http://www.kgionline.com

PS: If this is a typical day on planet earth, humans will add fifteen million tons of carbon to the atmosphere, destroy 115 square miles of tropical rainforest, create seventy-two miles of desert, eliminate between forty to one hundred species, erode seventy-one million tons of topsoil, add 2.700 tons of CFCs to the stratosphere, and increase their population by 263.000

Bowers, C.A.  The Culture of Denial:
Why the Environmental Movement Needs a Strategy for Reforming Universities and Public Schools.
New York:  State University of New York Press, 1997: (4) (5) (p.206)

Re: Rich client

Posted by Bernard Sirius <be...@yahoo.com>.

Re: Rich client

Posted by Konstantin Iignatyev <kg...@yahoo.com>.

Re: Rich client

Posted by Bernard Sirius <be...@yahoo.com>.
come on, I can't believe it. they have a 10 minutes
tutorial that teaches the basics, and from there, the
learning curve is exponential. And, what's more, it

Re: Rich client

Posted by Konstantin Iignatyev <kg...@yahoo.com>.

Re: Rich client

Posted by Bernard Sirius <be...@yahoo.com>.