Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by João Fernandes <jo...@gmail.com> on 2013/07/18 16:30:17 UTC

Few things about the installer

Hi, I've just launched the RC installer and noticed a few things

1) http://d.pr/i/hTm6 the interface is in english but the selected language
is deutsch
2) the installer downloads osmf.swc but not osmf.swf RSL file, would it be
possible to download it too?
3) Any reason not allowing to to download to a non empty folder? I did get
the wrong AIR/FP version so I tried to just download the right one and was
forced to download everything just to pick the right FP/AIR.

BTW, cherry picking SDK/FP/AIR versions is a great addition! Thank you for
that!

--

João Fernandes

Re: Few things about the installer

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 4:01 PM, Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> >> 3) Any reason not allowing to to download to a non empty folder? I did
> get
> was
>
> Should be possible, if you are on OSX there are scripts in the ide
> directory that can do this for you. Please raise a JIRA issue for this.
>
> When a new AIR/FP version comes out it would be better if you could just
> update an existing SDK rather than end up with dozen of SDKs
>
> > I prefer it this way as well.  The swf-version would be different for
> > different combinations of runtimes.
> Can be different, it's possible  be on 11.8 FP but be on any version of
> AIR (not sure why you woudl do this but it possible). The currently
> installer takes this into account when selected FP/AIR versions.

 From my testing, it seems like the air-config.xml needs to have a
swf-version that matches that of flex-config.xml.  If it doesnt match, you
will see an Error 305 [1]:

 305

Initial window content SWF version exceeds namespace version

The SWF version of the file referenced in the <content> element of the
application descriptor is not supported by the version of AIR specified in
the descriptor namespace. For example, attempting to package a SWF10 (Flash
Player 10) file as the initial content of an AIR 1.1 application will
generate this error.

[1]
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/air/build/WSBE9908A0-8E3A-4329-8ABD-12F2A19AB5E9.html

Re: Few things about the installer

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

>> 3) Any reason not allowing to to download to a non empty folder? I did get
>>> the wrong AIR/FP version so I tried to just download the right one and was
>>> forced to download everything just to pick the right FP/AIR.

Should be possible, if you are on OSX there are scripts in the ide directory that can do this for you. Please raise a JIRA issue for this.

When a new AIR/FP version comes out it would be better if you could just update an existing SDK rather than end up with dozen of SDKs

> I prefer it this way as well.  The swf-version would be different for
> different combinations of runtimes.
Can be different, it's possible  be on 11.8 FP but be on any version of AIR (not sure why you woudl do this but it possible). The currently installer takes this into account when selected FP/AIR versions.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: Few things about the installer

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

I was in there and JIRA was missing the 2.6 version so I went ahead and added them. Not  added the language one however - not 100% what the issue is there.

Justin

Re: Few things about the installer

Posted by Paul Hastings <pa...@gmail.com>.
On 7/19/2013 12:36 AM, OmPrakash Muppirala wrote:
> Nice idea.  Please open a JIRA ticket for this under the Installer component.

justin beat me to it:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLEX-33617

Re: Few things about the installer

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 9:27 AM, Paul Hastings <pa...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On 7/18/2013 9:30 PM, � wrote:
>
>  3) Any reason not allowing to to download to a non empty folder? I did get
>> the wrong AIR/FP version so I tried to just download the right one and was
>> forced to download everything just to pick the right FP/AIR.
>>

> i think i prefer it that way, makes sure not mixing versions, etc. justin
> warned about just copying stuff around & after trying to get the SDK
> installed manually, i have to agree.

I prefer it this way as well.  The swf-version would be different for
different combinations of runtimes.

> and since we're making installer feature requests, i think making the
> install log permanent would be nice--stored as a file someplace, maybe
> tossed into the install dir?? with a new log file for each install attempt.

Nice idea.  Please open a JIRA ticket for this under the Installer
component.

Thanks,
Om

Re: Few things about the installer

Posted by Paul Hastings <pa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 7:30 AM, João Fernandes <
joaopedromartinsfernandes@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, I've just launched the RC installer and noticed a few things
>
> 1) http://d.pr/i/hTm6 the interface is in english but the selected
> language
> is deutsch

I havent seent this issue before.  Is it possible for you debug from the
source code and see what's happening?

> 2) the installer downloads osmf.swc but not osmf.swf RSL file, would it be
> possible to download it too?

I am not sure about this.  Does Flex 4.6 have the swf?  Alex/Justin - any
idea of this is possible?

> 3) Any reason not allowing to to download to a non empty folder? I did get
> the wrong AIR/FP version so I tried to just download the right one and was
> forced to download everything just to pick the right FP/AIR.

I started the Installer app started by mimicking the original shell script.
 I guess this came from there.  I am sure we can handle this in a better
way.  Please open a JIRA ticket under the Installer component.

Thanks,
Om

Posted by João Fernandes <jo...@gmail.com>.
> Same thing here... Maybe this is an issue on non-US language machines?

probably, my OS is in English but my regional settings are in pt_PT.

> I was wondering the same thing. Why not (after a warning perhaps)
> empty the selected folder? That would allow for repeated downloads of
> e.g. nightly builds to the same directory.
>

> In my case I don't want to empty the folder, I want to keep the current
SDK but just want to download additional FP/AIR versions.

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.
> 1) http://d.pr/i/hTm6 the interface is in english but the selected language
> is deutsch

Same thing here... Maybe this is an issue on non-US language machines?

> 3) Any reason not allowing to to download to a non empty folder? I did get
> the wrong AIR/FP version so I tried to just download the right one and was
> forced to download everything just to pick the right FP/AIR.

I was wondering the same thing. Why not (after a warning perhaps)
empty the selected folder? That would allow for repeated downloads of
e.g. nightly builds to the same directory.

EdB

--
Ix Multimedia Software

Jan Luykenstraat 27