Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Vincent Lefevre <vi...@vinc17.org> on 2007/12/18 14:41:17 UTC

Re: Client relative url support infrastructure and merge implementation

On 2007-12-18 12:23:47 +0100, Branko Čibej wrote:
> Greg Lutz wrote:
> > Looking along the top row of my keyboard, I wonder whether "+" or "="
> > might be reasonable alternatives to "^". In *nix, they're all about
> > equally metacharacterish.
>
> + is sometimes special on Windows. = seems to be safe, so does % (which
> is a job control shortcut in bash, but only at the beginning of a line)

I don't have the whole thread, but if '=' is the first character of
a word, it has a special (and very useful) meaning with zsh. FYI:

vin:~> zsh -f
vin% echo ^ab
^ab
vin% echo +ab
+ab
vin% echo =ab
/usr/sbin/ab
vin% echo %ab
%ab

--
Vincent Lefèvre <vi...@vinc17.org> - Web: <http://www.vinc17.org/>

Re: Client relative url support infrastructure and merge implementation

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu>.
C. Michael Pilato wrote:
> Branko Čibej wrote:
>
>> Vincent Lefevre wrote:

>>> BTW, if the extendedglob option is used, '^' also has a special
>>> meaning under zsh. '+' and '%' seem to be safe. And as '%' is
>>> used as a job prefix, it should be safe and remain safe whatever
>>> the options.
>>>

>> Good reasoning. I don't suppose anyone wants a svn client in VMS? then
>> we're safe with %. :)
>>

> I may not be following the right discussion, but won't %ab expand as a
> variable on windows?  Or must you have both %'s (%ab%)?

Hum. %ab won't, but %a will. Bah. I kept thinking in terms of %/foo, not
%foo ...

Re: Client relative url support infrastructure and merge implementation

Posted by Nathan Kidd <na...@spicycrypto.ca>.
C. Michael Pilato wrote:
> Branko Čibej wrote:
>> Vincent Lefevre wrote:

>>> BTW, if the extendedglob option is used, '^' also has a special
>>> meaning under zsh. '+' and '%' seem to be safe. And as '%' is
>>> used as a job prefix, it should be safe and remain safe whatever
>>> the options.
>>>
>> Good reasoning. I don't suppose anyone wants a svn client in VMS? then
>> we're safe with %. :)
>
> I may not be following the right discussion, but won't %ab expand as a
> variable on windows?  Or must you have both %'s (%ab%)?

For a regular variable both %'s are needed:

C:\>set ab=foo
C:\>echo %ab
%ab

FOR loop variables however seem impossible to escape, so one must be
careful to avoid using a sequence that matches a used variable.

C:\>for %a in (*) do @echo %ab
FOO.TXTb

C:\>for %a in (*) do @echo %%ab
%FOO.TXTb

C:\>for %a in (*) do @echo ^%ab
FOO.TXTb

C:\>for %a in (*) do @echo "%ab"
"FOO.TXTb"

C:\>for %a in (*) do @echo ^%^ab
FOO.TXTb

C:\>for %a in (*) do @echo ^%^%^ab
%FOO.TXTb

C:\>for %a in (*) do @echo ^^%ab
^FOO.TXTb

C:\>for %a in (*) do @echo ^%^^%ab
%^FOO.TXTb

C:\>for %a in (*) do @echo "^%^^%ab"
"^%^^FOO.TXTb"

Re: Client relative url support infrastructure and merge implementation

Posted by "C. Michael Pilato" <cm...@collab.net>.

C. Michael Pilato <cm...@collab.net>

Re: Client relative url support infrastructure and merge implementation

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu>.

Posted by Vincent Lefevre <vi...@vinc17.org>.