Posted to ivy-user@ant.apache.org by "Iliev, Alexander" <Al...@gs.com> on 2007/09/25 17:07:44 UTC

Logging too verbose

I find the logging produced by the ivy:resolve ant task to be too much -
it makes up the considerable majority of my ant output. This is at the
default logging level. Is there any way to make resolve more quiet,
without changing any other ant settings, ie. so that other tasks remain
at their default logging level?

I'm using Ivy 1.4.1 with ant 1.7

Thanks!

alex

Re: Problems with cache resolution

Posted by Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com>.
On 10/9/07, Andy Piper <an...@bea.com> wrote:

> At 06:28 09/10/2007, Xavier Hanin wrote:
> >I'm in favor of considering one version as sealed, and this is the
> default
> >in Ivy. But Ivy also supports two kinds of change in a version:
> >- change of the module metadata (an updated ivy file), to deal with that
> you
> >have to use checkModified="true"
> >- change of module artifacts (this is what you want), this is what is
> called
> >a changing revision in Ivy, and you need to tell it to Ivy in one of the
> two
> >options for that:
> >   + use changing="true" when you declare your dependency on the module
>
> Where does this go? I can find zero documentation on this attribute

On the dependency declaration:
<dependency org="foo" name="bar" rev="2.0" changing="true" />
See http://incubator.apache.org/ivy/history/trunk/ivyfile/dependency.html

>   + use a changingPattern on your resolver in which the module is
> published.
> >If all your revisions are changing, you can use changingPattern="*"
>
> Ok so using this seems to work! Do you have an example, its not clear
> from the docs how exactly it is trying to match a "revision".

It works in pair with changingMatcher (documented just below changingPattern
in
http://incubator.apache.org/ivy/history/trunk/configuration/resolvers.html).

The matcher concept is documented here:
http://incubator.apache.org/ivy/history/trunk/concept.html#matcher

>Note that before considering an artifact might have changed Ivy first
> checks
> >if the module publication date has changed, so it's important to publish
> >new ivy file with at least the publication date changed.
>
> Ok, looks like this happens by default

Yes, if you use the publish task :-)  If you copy artifacts by hand you may
wonder why Ivy don't pick them up.

>Could you tweak your settings or your publishing strategy accordingly and
> >tell us if you still have a problem?
>
> Looks good.
>
> Incidentally I am happy to augment the documentation with editorial
> content if it would help.

Sure it would help! Documentation contribution is always welcome!

The docs are better than maven (not
> particularly hard), but still missing a lot of important detail.

Agreed. IMO the reference doc is not too bad even though it lacks some
details and cross references, the worst part is introduction and tutorials
which haven't really evolved to reflect some features introduced in recent
Ivy versions.

Xavier

Thanks!

http://xhab.blogspot.com/
http://incubator.apache.org/ivy/
http://www.xoocode.org/

Re: Problems with cache resolution

Posted by Andy Piper <an...@bea.com>.
At 06:28 09/10/2007, Xavier Hanin wrote:
>I'm in favor of considering one version as sealed, and this is the default
>in Ivy. But Ivy also supports two kinds of change in a version:
>- change of the module metadata (an updated ivy file), to deal with that you
>have to use checkModified="true"
>- change of module artifacts (this is what you want), this is what is called
>a changing revision in Ivy, and you need to tell it to Ivy in one of the two
>options for that:
>   + use changing="true" when you declare your dependency on the module

Where does this go? I can find zero documentation on this attribute

>   + use a changingPattern on your resolver in which the module is published.
>If all your revisions are changing, you can use changingPattern="*"

Ok so using this seems to work! Do you have an example, its not clear
from the docs how exactly it is trying to match a "revision".

>Note that before considering an artifact might have changed Ivy first checks
>if the module publication date has changed, so it's important to publish a
>new ivy file with at least the publication date changed.

Ok, looks like this happens by default

>Could you tweak your settings or your publishing strategy accordingly and
>tell us if you still have a problem?

Looks good.

Incidentally I am happy to augment the documentation with editorial
content if it would help. The docs are better than maven (not
particularly hard), but still missing a lot of important detail.

Thanks!

andy

Notice:  This email message, together with any attachments, may contain information  of  BEA Systems,  Inc.,  its subsidiaries  and  affiliated entities,  that may be confidential,  proprietary,  copyrighted  and/or legally privileged, and is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity named in this message. If you are not the intended recipient, and have received this message in error, please immediately return this by email and then delete it.

Re: Problems with cache resolution

Posted by Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com>.
On 10/9/07, Andy Piper <an...@bea.com> wrote:

> Incidentally, I'm guessing this is why the "local" publish task uses
> an incrementing version number? If so how do you avoid the issue of
> your disk filling up with old artifacts.

There is no local publish task. There is a local publish target in some
tutorials, which uses an incrementing version number as demonstration
purpose. But yes I think any time a version is published it should have a
different version as any other one. Using a build number or a timestamp may
fit this purpose.

For disk space management I'd say it depends on your environment and the
size of your artifacts. Some can't afford preserving more than one version,
others use a 1 week window, and others archive ALL versions. But you can
keep only one version even if you give it a new name each time. Deleting the
older version is usually pretty simple with ant. And at least when you have
a developer saying "it doesn't work on my box", you can better figure out if
something is wrong because of dependencies not or badly refreshed when you
know he has 2.0-b103423 rather than 2.0-SNAPSHOT.

But Ivy supports both, so depending on your requirements and feeling you can
choose the best strategy for you.

Xavier

andy

http://xhab.blogspot.com/

Posted by Andy Piper <an...@bea.com>.

Posted by Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com>.
On 10/9/07, Andy Piper <an...@bea.com> wrote:

> Another question. Does the "status" field for publish have any
> special meaning to ivy (i.e. does it take any alternative action for
> some statuses) or is it just a means of distinguishing different
> types of published artifact.

The status field is used for two purposes:
- know if a version is an integration version or not, which is used by the
deliver task to do recusrive delivery (deliver all modules I depend upon
which are in integration status). This might be improved to recursive
delivery based on status compatiblity rather than this binary approach, but
this is how it works now.
- if you use latest.milestone or latest.release version constraints, then
Ivy will check the status in the ivy files of the dependency to find a
compatible one.

Xavier

andy

http://xhab.blogspot.com/

Posted by Andy Piper <an...@bea.com>.

Posted by Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com>.

http://xhab.blogspot.com/

Posted by John Gill <ll...@gmail.com>.
> [...]

> subsidiaries  and  affiliated
> > > entities,  that may be
> confidential,  proprietary,  copyrighted  and/or
> > > legally privileged, and is intended solely for the use of the
> individual or
> > > entity named in this message. If you are not the intended recipient,
> and
> > > have received this message in error, please immediately return
> > this by email
> > > and then delete it.
> > >

> >--
> >Xavier Hanin - Independent Java Consultant
> >http://xhab.blogspot.com/
> >http://incubator.apache.org/ivy/
> >http://www.xoocode.org/

> legally privileged, and is intended solely for the use of the individual or
> entity named in this message. If you are not the intended recipient, and
> have received this message in error, please immediately return this by email

John Gill

Re: Problems with cache resolution

Posted by Andy Piper <an...@bea.com>.
Ok, here's an example: