Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by Jungshik Shin <js...@pantheon.yale.edu> on 2001/11/11 00:20:01 UTC

config/8150: Incorrect Korean language code and MIME charset example

The following reply was made to PR config/8150; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Jungshik Shin <js...@pantheon.yale.edu>
To: Cc: <ap...@Apache.org>
Subject: config/8150: Incorrect Korean language code and MIME charset example
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2001 18:15:13 -0500 (EST)

 I'm following up PR #8150, because I found that it's still open.
 It's a bit frustrating to find that this simple bug is not yet fixed. (I
 apologize to sending four identical reports. At the time, Apache.org
 server didn't respond and I tried to stop or go back). I also found two
 other reports regarding Korean lang. code had been filed before I filed
 mine, which deals with a sample MIME charset code for Korean as well
 as Korean language code.  Therefore, PR #8150 (mine) is broader in its
 scope than PR #7680 and PR #7605.

 To make my point stronger, let me tell you that using 'kr' for Korean
 language code is akin to using 'us', 'gb', 'uk', 'za', 'au' or 'nz',
 'ca'  for English language code instead of 'en'. This makes the
 content-negotiation with clients which use the correct language code
 for Korean 'ko' (e.g. Netscape and MS IE and many others)  impossible.

 As I reported earlier, the overwhelming majority of Korean
 web pages use EUC-KR (or its proprietary extension by Microsoft)
 and there is virtually NO Korean page encoded in ISO-2022-KR.
 Therefore, a sample AddCharset line for Korean should read

   AddCharset EUC-KR .euc-kr

 instead of

   AddCharset ISO-2022-KR .iso-kr

 While I'm at it, I might also suggest that you add the following
 sample AddCharset line for Japanese

   AddCharset EUC-JP .euc-jp
   AddCharset Shift_JIS .sjis

 There are some Japanese web pages in ISO-2022-JP, but it's much rarer
 than Japanese pages in EUC-JP or Shift_JIS.

   I know Apache developers have tons of more important things to
 take care of than this, but wouldn't it be so hard to fix a few config
 lines? (Sure, we can fix this on our own machine, but....)

    It would be very nice to see this dealt with before long.

    Best,