Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Benoit Tellier <bt...@linagora.com> on 2017/07/26 09:48:31 UTC

Migrating to java 8 for James 3.1.0

Hi,

I would like to re-launch the debate over Java 8 adoption by the James
project.

My proposal is to migrate james-project to java-8.

I would not mind keeping james-mime4J james-jsieve james-jspf and
james-jdkim either java-7 or java-6 (as they are externally used libraires)

Here are the rationals:

 - We maintain a java-6 and a java-8 build in parallel, which takes time
and energy (QA, boiler plate plugin in poms)

 - Java-6 don't allow advanced language features like Stream, lambdas,
futures and the like that both promise performance and code style
enhancements

 - Java-6 is forbidding us to upgrade many critical part of the James
architecture, namely Camel, ActiveMQ, OpenJPA (but much others). Not
upgrading these components both expose us to a security risk, and avoid
easy performance gain with upgrade. See JAMES-1957 for instance.

 - Nowadays, some pseudo functional code is written with Guava
(Collections, optionals, etc...). Guava versions clash for instance
cripple HBase implementation. By switching to Java-8, we can replace
much of the Guava's related code by java-8 code, thus decreasing chances
of conflicts.

 - As James is also shipped with docker, users relying on docker can
switch without further changes. They just need to used the newer shipped
image.

Working daily for years on the James project, this would be a huge
improvement in my daily developer's life.

Could we discuss this proposal, so that we can soon schedule a vote?

Mrs Quynh and I also plan to make some proposal, and start migrating the
code during the month of August.

Best regards,

Benoit Tellier

Re: Migrating to java 8 for James 3.1.0

Posted by Eric Charles <er...@apache.org>.
Sure thing, I am in favor to require java-8 for james 3.1

Posted by aduprat <ad...@linagora.com>.
Hi,

+1
I really agree with this.

One other major point is that Java 6 is no more supported by Oracle.

Antoine