Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by techbuddy <te...@gmail.com> on 2012/10/11 23:11:48 UTC

[Stand alone - distributed mode] HBase master isn't initializing completely

Hi,

I've a standalone Hbase cluster configured in a distributed mode (i.e. the
ZK, Master and the RegServer all running in separate JVMs on the same host).

The HBase master doesn't seem to be intializing successfully. This has
started happening since I encountered the stop-hbase script going into an
indefinite loop followed by a forced kill of the three Hbase processes
(Zk,Master and Region server). I did manually kill these processes couple of
times earlier too, but the Hbase master never stalled partially initialized.
I have also removed the zookeeper and the hbase/test/hbase folders in an
effort to clean things up before triggering the start-hbase script.

Symptoms

1. The create table command on the Hbase shell errors out with a
PleaseHoldException (Master in initializing)

2. On the Admin UI, the regon server lists only the ROOT and the single META
regions. It doesn't list one single region of the user tables. However ,a
list command on the shell indeed lists all the user tables (that were
created in the past)

3. On the Master logs, I see the following locate region failures and
retries on the META table

2012-10-11 14:09:03,970 DEBUG
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.client.HConnectionManager$HConnectionImplementation:
locateRegionInMeta parentTable=-ROOT-,
metaLocation={region=-ROOT-,,0.70236052,
hostname=materialstranger.corp.XXX.com, port=60020}, attempt=77 of 100
failed; retrying after sleep of 32172 because: Connection refused
2012-10-11 14:09:03,971 DEBUG
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.client.HConnectionManager$HConnectionImplementation:
Looked up root region location,
connection=org.apache.hadoop.hbase.client.HConnectionManager$HConnectionImplementation@1bbbafc;
serverName=materialstranger.corp.XXX.com,60020,1349987514876
2012-10-11 14:09:36,197 DEBUG
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.client.HConnectionManager$HConnectionImplementation:
Looked up root region location,
connection=org.apache.hadoop.hbase.client.HConnectionManager$HConnectionImplementation@1bbbafc;
serverName=materialstranger.corp.XXX.com,60020,1349987514876
2012-10-11 14:09:36,197 DEBUG
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.client.HConnectionManager$HConnectionImplementation:
locateRegionInMeta parentTable=-ROOT-,
metaLocation={region=-ROOT-,,0.70236052,
hostname=materialstranger.corp.XXX.com, port=60020}, attempt=78 of 100
failed; retrying after sleep of 32275 because: Connection refused
2012-10-11 14:09:36,198 DEBUG
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.client.HConnectionManager$HConnectionImplementation:
Looked up root region location,
connection=org.apache.hadoop.hbase.client.HConnectionManager$HConnectionImplementation@1bbbafc;
serverName=materialstranger.corp.XXX.com,60020,1349987514876

Any pointers on how to restore the cluster to a clean ,working state would
be highly appreciated.

-SB

Re: 答复: [Stand alone - distributed mode] HBase master isn't initializing completely

Posted by Suraj Varma <sv...@gmail.com>.
Shutdown the cluster and remove all the *.pid files from the
configured tmp.dir - especially of the master. Then bring up the
cluster again. See if this resolves it.

Also - did you check your hosts file and refer to the host
configuration specified in the hbase online guide?
--S

Posted by techbuddy <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by 谢良 <xi...@xiaomi.com>.
Is there any WARNING/ERROR in HDFS logfile ?
Please ensure zk&hdfs are in healthy status firstly
Could you provide your hbse version, it'll be great:)

Re: [Stand alone - distributed mode] HBase master isn't initializing completely

Posted by techbuddy <te...@gmail.com>.
We root caused the problem to corruption of the .META. table data,that was
being caused by a bug in one of our co-processors.
The co-processor was returning a null internalScanner in one of the
RegionObserver callbacks.

I'd suggest you run the hbck tool, that does an hbase file system check, if
your cluster is starting up. If not, try running the OfflineMetaRepair
tool. Also, visit the master and region server logs for more information.

Posted by abhishek1015 <ab...@gmail.com>.
I am facing same problem.

@techbuddy: Is this problem resolved?